Kreepy Krauly stops moving sometimes

AB

Jan 18, 2011
Houston, TX
Hello,
I had a question about the Kreepy Krauly operation. I started it up, and if I move the hose a bit (in an attempt to get it to go past the 1/3 of the pool that it likes :eek: :eek: ) it seems to stop it from running. It just sat at the bottom of the pool.

I then moved the hose some more and it started it up again. Does this make any sense? I don't see why it would turn it off/on. Is there some kind of sensor that thinks it has gotten jammed, and turns it off, when I move the hose?

Thanks, Aaron

There is no sensor in a Kreepy Krauly, but unfortunately that specific cleaner needs a little push to get going after they have some years on it. The little flapper inside that moves back and forth and makes cleaner move starts to get soft and just needs a little push to jar it loose and to start it flapping again.

There is probably something stuck inside like a leaf or acorn thats partially blocking the flapper, check out the foot for obstructions.

Have you read the instructions on the website on setting it up? If you follow them exactly you should be able to tune it for your pool, mine didn't work very well when I first tried it but after carefully measuring the weight locations and tweaking the location of the one closest to the Krawler it now gets the entire pool after about 4 hours. They seem very sensitive to pump suction and mine required the bypass to work as designed...having the correct amount of hose was critical as well as not coiling the hose up when its not in use. All that is in the instructions, read and follow them carefully and yours should work properly. They aren't as fast as a robot but mine works like a charm and rarely gets stuck anywhere as long as I remember to remove the ladder from the deep end.

Mine is close to 6 years old now and came with the house so its seen better days but it works perfectly and except for faded plastic still works great, setup is very critical though...I spent a few days dialing it in and found the factory instructions the best place to start and only make one change at a time. Getting the hose neutrally buoyant and the weight locations for the depth of my pool was the hardest part. They are very simple devices and come apart easily, make sure you have all the parts and the hose connection swivels properly and has the "wave washer" so it doesn't twist the hose in the pool.

Good luck.

4Jaw,
I will check the website. Thanks for the detailed info!
I had a guy from Leslie's come over to fix the timer (separate issue - turns out they had a 220V timer set up when the pool pump/other equip runs on 110, so the timer never ran!)

He checked out the Kreepy and had some advice...apparently I will have some problems getting the Kreepy to travel the entire length of the pool due to the way it was built. He indicated that the Kreepy suction vent is too close to the skimmer, so the hose will get caught in the skimmer often. He recommended putting in a plug so I could run the Kreepy out of the skimmer, instead.

Also, he indicated that the return lines into the pool were not set up evenly, they are all across the pool so thus they push the Kreepy away, even when pointed down, which makes it difficult for it to come across the pool all the way. eg my kreepy suction vent and the skimmer are at 1 end of the pool, and the 3 return lines are all at the other end of the pool.

He also looked at the Kreepy and said the flapper? (starfish looking thing that contacts the bottom of the pool) is worn out, is about $90 but may be better just to replace the entire unit. I am not sure how old the unit is probably about 11-12 years old. Any advice on this?

Thanks, Aaron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.