How to clean the leaves out of this area?

AB

Jan 18, 2011
Houston, TX
Hello,
I noticed when the pump runs, this area has a fair amount of leaves in it. But after I turned off the pump and tried to pull up on the 'handle' it would not come out.
Is there another way to clean this area? Does this plastic piece come off at all?
Thanks, Aaron[attachment=0:3dtm64jy]cannot come off.JPG[/attachment:3dtm64jy]

Attachments

• cannot come off.JPG
    cannot come off.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 123
My pump also has a lid like that. I use a long, thick screwdriver as a breaker bar to get enough leverage to twist the lid. Do yourself a favor and get a tube of silicon pool lube at your local pool store. Rub some on the rubber ring around the edge of the lid. The lid will be much easier to remove next time you take it off.

P.S. If there is not a shut off valve on the line just before the pump, when you open the lid a lot of water will come rushing out! If you are not sure if you have one then post a picture of your plumbing as it enters the pump and we'll help you figure it out.

AB,

It's a lid for the pump strainer basket and it is being held on by the water in your system. In other words, there is a vacuum created (and holding the lid down) at that point whether the pump is running or not.

Shut the pump off and tap the lid gently with a rubber mallet. If it moves about a 1/4 turn and the vacuum still doesn't release, open the bleed valve on top of your filter. Air will be drawn into the system and the water will drain from the strainer basket and release the vacuum.

Cleaning the "junk" from the strainer basket is very important to the life of your pump and should be done often.

The lid on my pump strainer basket is different from yours, but I use a wooden board as a lever to loosen it. In fact there are instructions printed on the lid that advise you to do so(a piece of 1" x 4" fits exactly in my lid).

I would hesitate to use anything metal for the lever because you risk damaging the plastic.

Thanks all,
I took your advice and used a plunger handle - gave me the leverage to open it up. Put some silicone on the ring and hopefully will be easier next time!
I found I had two of these handle/reservoirs - 1 for the main system and 1 for the waterfall. The main system had a lot of leaves, waterfall none at all, guess it was not used much.
Much appreciated!

duraleigh said:
Cleaning the "junk" from the strainer basket is very important to the life of your pump and should be done often.
It also reduces chlorine demand! Whatever's in there is being oxidized (essentially burned up, but without the fire) slowly by the bleach. Get it out of there, and you'll need less bleach. Just because it's not in the pool doesn't mean it's out of the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.