Pool Heater

Apr 15, 2007
I have a raypack 2000 gas heater for my inground pool. The heater does not run on any timer..You just set the temperature dial to a certain color coded range (blue to red) to get to a desired temperature.

For some reason the heater keeps cycling on and off and I am not sure what to do..I read thru the instruction booklet and it mentioned something about a pressure switch which I have adjusted but to no avail...

Does anybody have a clue as to what the issue is???

Thanks in advance

Certainly water pressure will do that but I think gas pressure will also have a similar effect. The gas screen on mine was clogged at startup and the heater would fire up but then die right away. They cleaned the screen and it was fine.

Another issue with the gas is that the meter must have the volume for your heater. You can check with the gas company to see if it is big enough.

If you have 2 returns to the pool cover one of them with you hand and see if the heater comes on and stays on. If it does your pressure switch might still be set too low or if it is turned all the way down already switching to smaller eyeballs might allow it to function OK.

is this a new heater, or one that used to work, and now doesn't?

if an old one, did anything get changed recently?
regulators have small orifices and can clog easily, air can get in the line, clogged strainer... just a few ideas

if new, what gas flow is required, and what pressure is required? are both being met?

the genius who plumbed mine, put the temp sensor 10" downstream of heater... how long you think it took for the sensor to think it had reached its setpoint? about 10 seconds.... then sensor needs to be upstream of the heater.

hope one of these might help...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.