Putting in new pool lights

Flippy

Jan 8, 2011
Richmond, Texas
Howdy -

We just purchased a house with a pool that was built in 2005. We have 2 Pentair spa lights, 1 in the pool, and 1 in the hot tub. Also 1 Pentair Sam pool light. The SAM pool light and the spa light both trip the gfci all of the time. The SAM light is completely rusted, due to a cracked lens, while the spa light is completely dry but will still trip the GFCI. After several days of troubleshooting I have come to the conclusion that they need to be replaced. I have purchased two Pentair Led lights to replace both of the bad lights. My question is that on both of the lights I will need to pull the new power lines through the conduit. It is less than 15 feet in total distance for both lights through separate conduit. Is there anything that would help make this a simpler task? I have never pulled line through conduit before so I am nervous about the line getting stuck or broken in the middle. Anything else I need to know before trying this on my own? I had a pool company come out but they wanted an outrageous amount of money, like a 1000 bucks over the cost of the lights, to install the two new lights. I pulled on the SAM light cord and it seems to move freely but have not touched the spa light yet as it will require me disconnecting the power. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Philip

Pulling a line through conduit is pretty straight forward. You can use some Pulling compound (a thick greasy lubricant) to make the pull easier - but 15 feet through solid conduit shouldn't really need it. Either use the old cord as a pull line or use an electrical snake. If you use the old cord keep the connection straight between the 2 lines - overlap them by 12" and e tape that whole section - dont knot them together or you might get stuck in a bend.

The only real technical part is making sure the GFI portion is properly wired. Are you out of a GFI breaker at the panel or stabbed into a GFI receptacle at the switch?

Thanks for the reply. The GFCI is in the control panel at the pool equipment. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend and I will be able to get the spa light replaced. The pool light will not be here until next week sometime and will require me heating the pool up a bit. Just in case I would need to get in and get wet.

Got my new spa light today and it took me about 10 minutes to install it once the spa was drained down. I couldn't believe it was so simple. The pool company wanted 890 for the light and I got it for 470 online. They also wanted an additional 103 labor to install the spa light. Can't wait to get the pool light on Monday and get it replaced so my saga of broken pool lights will be over. Thanks again for your help.

Update - I got the new pool led light in today with no issues. However I did find that my spa light that is in the pool, on the stairs, is as well tripping the gfci. The house was empty for 1.5 years before we moved in so I am not sure how well the pool was maintained or if that would make a difference. Both the spa light and the pool stair light worked when we had the house inspected. I just disconnected the stair light for now, and will replace when it gets warmer because it will require me getting in the water. So far I am very please with the new spa light and I am anxious to see the pool light with it tonight. By doing the work myself I saved over 1100 dollars. Thanks for your help again.

Your pool looks beautiful. Congrats on your light replacement. I upgraded to an intellibrite and save a bunch of money too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.