Gunite & weather conditions - question??

partypond

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2008
Frisco, Texas
We are scheduled for gunite on Thursday but the forecast is high of 41 and then a chance of some rain/snow/strong winds late inthe day. The lows for the next 2 nights will be in the low 20's. Will this cold cause any problems with the gunite curing?? I just want to make sure we are not setting our self up for future problems.

Thanks!!

I noticed you guys were discussing the curing of the gunite and freezing weather conditions. I am new to this site. Gunite was sprayed yesterday when it was 70 degrees outside. I have been spraying it down to keep it moist as directed at least twice per day to cure it slowly. The weather is dropping tonight and will be in the low 20s every night for the rest of the week and highs in the upper 30s. Should I keep spraying it down? Will the freeze ruin the gunite curing. Just worried.

MDS

You don't want there to be a freeze during, or in the several hours right after, the gunite application. It sounds like you are fine on that account.

You don't want to wet down the gunite when there is about to be a freeze in the next few hours. As long as it is warm enough during the day, you should be able to wet it down in the morning as soon as it goes over freezing. Just to be sure you should probably double check with the company that applied the gunite. They might have special instructions. For example, in extreme conditions the gunite needs to be covered/insulated so that it's internal heat will keep it above freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.