Considering fibreglass remodel - thoughts ?

Jimk

May 17, 2010
I am considering using Lami Glass of America to resurface my plaster pool. They are located here in the Los Angeles area of California and use their own fiberglass product, Lami-Coat. They seem reputable but if anybody has any insight on them or their product it would be appreciated. But aside from that, a fiberglass seems quite an attractive proposition on paper and yet it seems quite a contentious issue on the boards. What are the drawbacks of fiberglass if installed properly ?

TIA.

Downsides are delamination, sharp edge when it bubbles, floating strands of fiberglass, itching and additional costs when it has to be removed later to re-plaster (it has to go to HazMat). Length of time in business and over selling of the products capabilities are the major "issues" in doing business with these companies typically. Prep is critical if you go this direction.

Why are you looking at fiberglass? Is it for longevity, look, feel? I take an awful lot of them out, so I may be able to give you facts so that you can make the best decision for you as opposed to being sold something (I have nothing to sell you, but I will tell you the truth!).

The number of horror stories I have heard and seen! Delaminations, blisters, repainting, warrantied materials but not labor...

When they said,"They are located here in the Los Angeles area of California and use their own fiberglass product, Lami-Coat.", do you really think they invented something? Lets suppose they did. What if they go under and you need service? What if they are still around and it's time to redo it? Think you'll get the good price with them knowing they are the only game in town?

I wouldn't recommend glassing the pool. It creates long term issues.

Scott

simicrintz said:
Downsides are delamination, sharp edge when it bubbles, floating strands of fiberglass, itching and additional costs when it has to be removed later to re-plaster (it has to go to HazMat). Length of time in business and over selling of the products capabilities are the major "issues" in doing business with these companies typically. Prep is critical if you go this direction.

Why are you looking at fiberglass? Is it for longevity, look, feel? I take an awful lot of them out, so I may be able to give you facts so that you can make the best decision for you as opposed to being sold something (I have nothing to sell you, but I will tell you the truth!).

I'm going to remodel my backyard this year and this includes resurfacing the deck and the tile around the pool. I reckon the pool needs some work too. Maybe it just needs a good scrub or something but I thought a fiberglass coating was more durable, longer lasting and requires less maintenance and chemicals so I thought I would make some inquiries. I don't know anybody with a fiberglass finish on their pool but the company is offering references from residential and commercial pool owners.

Anyone offering to fiberglass the shell is someone to run from. It's as bad as paint. And I hate paint. :grrrr: :grrrr: :grrrr:

If the plaster is rough all over, replaster. There are lots of different finishes, some with a 10 year life, 15, or 25 year.

It depends on your budget as to which type you use. There's basic plaster, quartz and granite aggregates, and pebble finishes (small med and larger sized pebbles).

Coping, tile and plaster can be done individually, i.e. at different times but that will cost more. You would also have to drain the pool for each. Doing it all at once means draining only once.

Scott

I recommend keeping the plaster and taking better care of it :cool: :lol:

Seriously, fiberglass or a liner will not stop problems from occurring. Black algae comes from improper maintenance. Sounds like you have a pool that needs re-plaster work.

Stick around here and read up on water chemistry (and get a good test kit!) so that you can take control of your pool. Proper water chemistry will not allow for black algae, no matter what the finish.

Welcome to the 'page :cheers: :cheers:

Did you mean serious chipping of the plaster? Gunite is cement and very hard. Plaster is typically a much softer cementacious material but frequently a generic term for any of the troweled finishes, be they actual plaster or other materials such as Diamond Brite, Pebble Tec, Sun Stone, etc... some of which are also very hard but not suitable for structural work like cement is.

Is the shell exposed where the chipped areas are? This might be patchable but it would be quite evident as it is unlikely to blend in well.

Is the finish rough over a large areas? Are your or your family complaining about snagged bathing suits or sore feet? These are signs that the plaster is at the end of it's useful life and needs to be refinished. Price vary by region, product used, additional work needed, etc... Always get at least 3 estimates. The reason they will be estimates is because sometimes, when removing the old, damages that were hidden are exposed.

Black algae digs into the plaster, making it difficult to kill. A wire brush is often needed to knock the top off so chlorine can penetrate and kill it at the root. The chlorine level will need to be kept at a high level and brushing every day or two is needed to kill it and get out. This stuff is tough. It might take a week. It might leave an organic stain that will eventually fade but because it's buried deeply, may not fully resolve itself.

Do you know how old the existing finish is?

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the house is from the late 60's, probably around 69 or so. We bought the house from a couple who didnt keep the house up due to drug problems and they didnt know when the pool was built. Its defintely gunite, everyone in the town has told me but no one seems to know when it was built but everyones child swam in it lol. Anyways i know yall would like a lot more info, and i had planned to get all the measurements and stuff after i drained it in the spring, but i seen this topic and had to post. Anyways one guy told me he had helped couple we bought it from clean the pool of black algae once before and they used several different things he told me they used acid and chlorine, although not together umm well maybe they did now that i think about it some brain cells were missing lol. Anyways its chipped pretty bad and im thinking 70's or 80's it was built and now im stuck with a huge headache and not totally convinced the pump works all that well and im thinking i also have a leak. One pool guy gave me some stuff to pour into the deep in and the baskets and it helped with the leak that summer. So last year we drained it and it wasd fine for about 2 weeks then we had a ton of rain and after that couldnt get it back clean again and i didnt want to drain it again. Also funds are limited and so is my time because im not home much because my job takes me away for 45 days sometimes and there really arent any pool cleaning services around. So with all this in mind i was going to cover the gunite with a vinly liner, kinda like replacing but the gunite would still be there , or fiberglass. I was told if its covered then the black algae couldnt bloom through it. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.