When to install a new liner

Rob

May 23, 2007
Hello everyone,

We have an 18'X40' inground vinyl liner pool, and live in Southern Ontario. A few weeks ago, when we were out of town, a leak sprung in the liner, and the pool had dropped a couple feet by the time we had returned.

We were planning on replacing the liner anyways, so pumped out the pool. I've since been "distracted" by another project, and our pool has sat empty, with the old liner in it still.

My question is, should we replace the liner now, and fill it, even though it is doubtful we'll be able to swim in it again this season, or leave it until the spring?

My worry with leaving it is that the winter might cause the walls to shift.

The pool has been in place over 30 years if thats a factor.

Hi, Rob,

Seems I've heard from others living in Canada that IG pools are troublesome up there because the frost line is so deep.

Then it would seem like leaving a drained IG pool over the winter would be a real problem. My thought would be to refill the pool back up to the leak point to keep it in the ground and in shape 'til late Spring when you can drain and replace the liner.

I'm out of my league if it gets much below 25F so certainly wait until you get a more "northerly" opinion.

If you refill the pool again with the old liner you may risk ripping it even more as it has likely shrunk and refilling will
stretch it out. I am not sure if you run the risk of your pool heaving due to the lack of weight and the winter frost.
I would get a new liner installed this year and fill, but you may want to discuss it with your local PB on the best senario.

I agree - frost can do nasty things and your pool is not what it was for the past several years. Change the way your pool is and you will change the way the frost treats it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.