Protecting Pool Supply Pipes From Cold Weather

Sep 13, 2009
Florida
My pool is open 12 months per year, but I live in a part of Florida that gets some very cold nights in January and February.

On freezing nights I keep the pump running, but want to add some protection to the 2 1/2 inch diameter water pipes that supply the pool. I have seen pipe sleeve at HD and Lowes, but only for smaller PVC pipe. It is a spongy type insulation material.

So, how do you protect the larger pool supply pipes from cold weather? What do you use?

First year pool owner here/above ground. First winter----didn't close. Last week----six nights in a row of below freezing temps. 3 nights at low 20's, 2 nights at 17. Even got a couple inches of snow! I'm in NE Texas. All I did was run the pump during freezing temps and survived those above mentioned temps just fine to give you some sort of reference. I DID buy a generator just in case because I'm not too trusting of the power grid in my area when Mother Nature even sneezes around here. You could always buy what they call electrical pipewrap heater cords that plug in like are used on mobile homes.

Please consider adding a sig line under your profile so folks here know what kind of pool/equipment you have and can help easier.
Good Luck!

This is what I do.

Buy some insluation from lowes or home depot. Any cheap roll will do. Then I wrap my pipes with that for protection and then use a tarp to put over that to protect from rain or any type of wet weather. Has worked well the past two years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.