how to control IntelliChlor IC40 w/Current Control Relay

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
parts needed:
macromatic cokp01a22 relay and socket 70170-D

total cost about 90.00

this enables system to monitor power use of IntelliFlow VF (or any variable speed programmable pump..) and to intelligently switch on/off the SWCG based on power settings (pickup and dropout, measured as a percentage of pickup amperage)

currently I have relay dialed to turn on IC40 cell at about 120 watts and to power off at 110 watts.

when I run an all day program at 95 watts, 875 rpm, the relay automatically turns off IC40 and there is no need to depend on the flow switch sensor (which would also turn RED but keep the transformer and the cell powered without a current control relay).

when system runs a 20 GPM or higher program, the IC40 automatically turns on and measures water salinity and resumes running preset program for chlorine generation.
pictures show final installation, without the enclosure flip cover (allowing quick adjustments as needed or changes to relay programming).

dzxfzk.jpg

2qcpkk4.jpg

Good idea! I need to do this same thing with my EchoStar and Aquapure. Any suggestions on where to get the relay and socket? I checked Granger, but they don't have the specific relay...

Thanks

I am planning on using a Crouzet (Syrelec) LIRT220A Current controled relay because it is 220 volt, the same as my Intelliflo pump. So the wiring is simpler, no need for 110V power.

Also plan to add a digital delay timer (B1S-R-220), which resets to whatever preset run time I choose, each time the pump runs. Since I am running the pump once a day for 7 hours, I will set the SWG to run for the first 4 hours. Then simply adjust the SWG run time on the digital timer to maintain the proper chlorine level.

See attached schematic. SCHEMATIC HAS CHANGED, SWG IS ON NORMAL CLOSED (NC) TERMINAL

>> So the wiring is simpler, no need for 110V power.

Having worked in the power industry for some decades and while my Pentair equipment is all 240v, the Current Control Relay is actually simpler to wire as 120v since *all it does* is to monitor the power use and intelligently switch things on or off

A 120v CCR can monitor and enable/disable 240v devices

That said, there is never a single solution, use what works

susa said:
>> So the wiring is simpler, no need for 110V power.

Having worked in the power industry for some decades and while my Pentair equipment is all 240v, the Current Control Relay is actually simpler to wire as 120v since *all it does* is to monitor the power use and intelligently switch things on or off

A 120v CCR can monitor and enable/disable 240v devices

That said, there is never a single solution, use what works

Simpler because the 110 in my location is on a separate breaker and in a different box.

I was just attempting to add something to your great work, no disrespect.

Thought maybe someone would like a schematic...

>> Simpler because the 110 in my location is on a separate breaker and in a different box.

Ok, that sounds good.

Make sure the device contains a programmable dial to *delay* action in case there are random voltage fluctuations. In my case, I use up to 55-60 second delay to wait before actioning either a turn-On of the IC40 Cell and Simpool Acid Injection pump

susa said:
>> Simpler because the 110 in my location is on a separate breaker and in a different box.

Ok, that sounds good.

Make sure the device contains a programmable dial to *delay* action in case there are random voltage fluctuations. In my case, I use up to 55-60 second delay to wait before actioning either a turn-On of the IC40 Cell and Simpool Acid Injection pump

It does have a delay timer but the range is from .1 to 10 seconds

Jerryt, can you let me know how your setup goes? Soudns liek you are ready to install, but ahve not yet. I think I'll be in a similar situation where teh 110V will be another task to run it into a seperate box (but not impossible), so I'm interested to hear how your 220V setup worked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to Susa and JerryT for all the details here. Just installed the relay and clock and works liek a charm. Now my Intelliflo basically runs the daily program, and when skimming, it will switch on the SWG.

Time to add Salt.

Thanks everyone, this solution worked great for me.

I have a simple system: pool,pump,filter,solar panels, bottom vac.
Nothing to really control, the Pentair timer/speed is plenty, so I just
added the current controlled relay.

Using Ebay, I got an old stock relay and new chinese socket for just
over twenty bucks. So much better than a multi-hundred dollar
automation system!! :-D
Gary
El Dorado Hills, CA

I have a pentail programmable pump, I don't want to use the additional timer you have in the picture, would it still run correctly?

Frank

A pentair intelliflow pump with a built in timer will run great wired directly to a circuit breaker and controlled from the built in control panel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.