To heat or not to heat

Sep 8, 2010
Noblesville, IN
We finished our pool late last year (September) and did not get a heater. We have an automatic cover and I'm kinda cheep so I didn't buy a heater. The wife wants to add a heater to warm up in the spring and keep the water around 80-85 degrees. I am saying with the cover, we will have warm water in no time and the sun will keep it warm if we keep the cover on. Any opinions? Location is central Indiana.

I think she's right...you'd extend your swim season by 2 months. But the is a solution that might fit the need if you are DIY and like to save money....Have you considered Solar Heat?

We have about the same size pool, also with a automatic pool cover. We have a heater and would not want to be without it, that's for sure. With the auto cover, it will keep the heat in better than without, but it's no better at getting heat in the pool than any other cover or solar cover.

Having a heater is key. It will extend the season if you choose to do so, but even during the warmer weather, it makes the pool so much more usable.

There were lots of times during the summer where it was nice out, but the pool just wasn't quite warm enough. This gives you control. You can choose to leave it be or you can choose to warm it up a bit. We're finding that everyone has a different tolerance for how warm they need the water. With a heater you can swim when you want, not when mother nature decides that you can swim by giving you the sun to warm the pool.

We end up keeping it on the warmer side because it is more comfortable for our kids and the guests that come over.

Just my 2 cents.

HoleInOne said:
dmanb2b said:
I think she's right...you'd extend your swim season by 2 months. But the is a solution that might fit the need if you are DIY and like to save money....Have you considered Solar Heat?

I would love to do solar heat but haven't found a system that looks like it would work and look OK.

I'm south of you, but not a long way. I have solar, and it does all the heating I need. I built a 12X24 pool house that works as a rack for the panels.

IMG_1071.jpg

I've found that these panels keep the water as warm as I want all through our swimming season. We stop swimming in the fall not because the water is cool, but because the air is cold when you get out. Once daytime highs stop being in the 80s, swimming isn't very attractive. We normally swim from about the third week in May to about the second week in September, although I can keep the water at a swimming temp from around the first of May into October.

Any suggestions on solar panel mfg. company? I have a storage shed close by and with a little roof modification I think that may work. You ever have problems with too many cloudy days? I stayed in a fishing cabin in Canada once that had solar battery chargers for electricity and the Indian kept saying "No sun...no lights". The wife is already questioning the efficiency of the solar system.

We went with Aqua-therm and are very satisfied :cheers: :cheers: . It is my understanding that there are 3 top manufacturers. Aqua-therm, Fafco and Helicol are the top 3 I believe. Look at my sig bar for info.
BTW we also have a heat pump which we use when we need more heat on days that are overcast and we want more heat in the pool or at night time when solar will not work. Why have a pool and not be able to use it when you want too :party: :party:

HoleInOne said:
Any suggestions on solar panel mfg. company? I have a storage shed close by and with a little roof modification I think that may work. You ever have problems with too many cloudy days? I stayed in a fishing cabin in Canada once that had solar battery chargers for electricity and the Indian kept saying "No sun...no lights". The wife is already questioning the efficiency of the solar system.

Mine are Aquasol, made by Solar Depot. I went with them because they had the 8ft panels I needed to fit my roof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.