Pavers to coping?

Jun 20, 2010
Southeast VA
I am in the final stages of our pool build. After we get the bonding grid done and inspected again, I need to decide what kind of decking to use. Most of you say Pavers are less expensive. My question is, how do they look with a pool that has aluminum coping? Any pictures on this site with that?
I truly appreciate the help from this forum. :goodjob:

Can you post a pict? I'm not sure what you mean by aluminum coping. You have a vinyl pool, correct? Is it the coping track that looks like this:

bullnose_coping2.jpg

If so, paver companies like Unilock make bricks that would fit under the bullnose coping. The bricks are then mounted on top of the pool with mortor. The aluminum acts as a bullnose edge. Once the mortor set up, pavers are laid behind the mortored in coping pavers. You can use a different color coping brick that contrasts with the pavers behind it if you like or they can match the field pavers.

You can also use stone but it a little more difficult to put in place with the bullnose track. Most stone coping I've seen is put on a cantilever track but it can be done with the bullnose.
If this isnt the kind of coping you mean, a picture would help :wink:

Yes, Bullnose coping is what we have. I have this picture as it was being built last summer. Since then, it has been filled in with dirt. So we would have to remove the coping in order to get the bricks under it? Seems like a lot of trouble since we have copper wire running around it already.

DSC_0389.jpg

No you're not understanding. That bullnose aluminum isnt really "coping", its' coping track. The bricks fit into that little "half moon" curve.
bullnose-cr.jpg

If you poured concrete, the concrete would run up to and fill the curved part like this:
coping_bullnose.jpg

The track is already attached to the top of the pool. If you use bricks, the mason just lays down a bed of mortor on the top of the track and fit the brick into the curved bullnose. The joints are then mortored up and thats your coping set into the track.

Oh OK. I was confused with the picture of the bricks under the coping.
What is the average cost of Pavers for a pool my size? I realize it varies depending on how far out we want the deck. We were thinking of 4-5 feet around the pool with Cement at first. One guy quoted us at $2400.00. The only thing is, Cement will crack over time. At least with Pavers, if one cracks you can replace that block.

I wouldnt even try and guess the cost. It varies so much the numbers I could give you may be totally off. Depends on what a mason would charge to do the brick coping if you went that route. The cheaper way wolud be to do a concrete coping about a foot back from the pool, then put paver behind that. It really depends on what you want. Best thing to do is call a landscape companies that do hardscapes and pool decks an dhave a few estimates done. Around here, paver decks go for around $15 a sq foot, installed. In Florida, it's $5-6 installed, :shock: so it varies a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.