Wire Mesh for Bonding Grid

Malibu07 said:
Yeah, I don't understand why either. My pool has Polymer walls. :hammer:

It really doesnt matter if you have polymer walls or not. While the walls in your case do not have to be bonded, the metal equipment around the pool does. The pump, heater, SWG (if you have them), ladder, hand rail, etc all have to be bonded. It keeps everything around the pool at the same potential. The deck didnt have to be bonded under earlier versions of the electrical code. Even now, some places do not enforce it, others do, although its becoming more common.

When I asked the Inspector if we had to use Copper his reply was this;

You may supplement the number eight copper conductor with reinforcing six inch square steel mesh design for reinforcing concrete. All metal with-in five feet of the pool perimeter must connect to the number eight grid conductor.
Remember the metal coping made continous by a number eight copper conductor is not the perimeter grid conductor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The city was making everyone use Copper until many pool builders complained. I had to write to the inspector three times until he could give me the answer I was looking for. I told him in one of my emails that I understood why they wanted everyone including those with Fiberglass and Polymer walled pools, to have the equipotential bonding but I didn't understand why they wanted us to use materials that would not hold up under cement. I explained to him that it has been proven that cement will eat through the copper thus defeating the whole purpose for having an equipotential bonding. Then I asked him point blank could I use stainless steel and that's when he sent me that reply.

bk406 said:
Malibu07 said:
I had to write to the inspector three times until he could give me the answer I was looking for.

Yea, I dont know why some inspectors have to be that way. They would have a better reputation if they interacted with the public better.

They don't care about their reputation 'cuz it really don't matter to them. They are not there to be helpful, not does their pay or next job depend on it. Unlike like most of us, being courteous and helpful is not really required from the inspectors since they just go to the next job on the docket and get it done. We, however, have to be civil and helpful so that we maintain our good reputations and get referred to the next job/customer/client/whatever.

Done bagging on inspectors. Folding soap box and going away now.....

It sounds like he wants you to take the #8 copper wire that should already be around your pool- connecting your lights etc to the wire mesh screen that Yes you can get at Home Dupo or Lowes. It's sold in rolls and is used in concrete decking. The copper wire needs to be connected with proper electrical lugs- and should be tied in more than one time.

blakeusa said:
It sounds like he wants you to take the #8 copper wire that should already be around your pool- connecting your lights etc to the wire mesh screen that Yes you can get at Home Dupo or Lowes. It's sold in rolls and is used in concrete decking. The copper wire needs to be connected with proper electrical lugs- and should be tied in more than one time.

thanks blakeusa, I will make sure that the guy helping us is aware of the proper lugs. He did already install the #8 Copper wire around the perimeter. That part was passed earlier by the inspector and that's when he told me we needed the bonding grid.
I'm just trying to get everything in place so when the weather breaks we can move on. I did pay for a 6 month extension on our Building Permit. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.