Freeze Guard and Pump Run Time afterwards

ajones02

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 4, 2010
Keller, Texas
Question on Freeze Guard and Pump run times after it finally kicks off.
:hammer:

Our freeze guard kicked on around 10 am this past Sunday and ran constantly through 1:00 pm on Thursday. So it ran for over 96 hours consecutively. For the next week it may come on occassionaly at night but not worried about that for the most part. currently my pump run schedule is for 8 hours a day to get just a bit over 1 turnover per day. I also have my cleaner scheduled to run for 2 hours per day as well.

My TC is currently at 14 and that's another story for another day in regards to how it got that high.

Now my question. Does it make sense or would it be feasible to leave the pump off for the next several days and only leave my cleaner on for two hours a day (pump runs when its cleaning) to help me recoup some electricity costs due to the freeze guard running or is this not what I should do?

As always, any feedback would be welcome! :cheers:

thanks

My pump hasn't run at all during this cold spell, and the equipment faired well right through the freeze. I just drained the pump & filter and turned the equipment off at the circuit breaker to prevent the freeze protection from kicking in. Although it got very cold, it wasn't cold enough here to freeze buried plumbing. I don't know about Keller. And of course, this method wouldn't work for an AGP.

Also, if you want to save on your electricity bill, you don't have to run the pump every day during the winter. I turn my water at most once a week during the winter with no problems whatsoever. And in the depth of winter, like right now, I go much longer than that.

YMMV,
Dave

Thanks 257 and Beez for the responses!!!

Beez, i find your response interesting because i have been under the impression that the water should be turned over 1 time per day even during the winter time. when my cleaner comes on i have the pump turned up a bit to help skim the surface and get some of the leaves into the skimmers. if what i'm hearing you say is that i could just run my pump the two hours per day when the cleaner is running and not have to run it more than that as long as the water is balanced?

Beez' method is certainly an option. I think that a water turnover is really cold weather like this is less important than it would be if your water temp is greater than say, 60 degrees and you have a pool full of swimmers. You must of course maintain an appropriate FC in the water as just because it's cold doesn't mean things won't grow. The reason that I don't do this is that I do still want some filtering to take place (my pool is not closed) and I also want skimmer action and the cleaner to run.

See this thread: Subject: What test are important in cold weather?

The one turn per day is a good guideline. But ultimately the decision is up to you. Personally, I always test hypotheses before committing to them. :wink: And actually, this is advice advocated in Pool School under the heading: Determine Pump Run Time.

*** This momentary departure is for the amusement(or horror) of Bruce ***

This past summer I experimented with pump run time to determine exactly how low I could go. I ran the pump & polaris for only 3 hours a day(except for swimming days) for the entire length of the summer with absolutely no problems. Water stayed sparkling clear.

CAUTION: NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THE TIMID
OK, back to the subject...
Consider those pools that are closed during winter. They get no circulation at all for months, but they are fine when opened. So if you turn your water once a week, or even once a month you are ahead of them! Anyway, the moral is do what works for you. If money was not a consideration I would run my equipment every day year round (and did the first year of ownership).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.