Deck Suggestions

Aug 4, 2010
Planning our pool deck project for the spring, weighing our options and design - is there an overall consensus on what's best $ per $ (the type of deck)?

We're looking at about a 700 sq/ft area.

Example: we like the look of slate stamped concrete but is the texture ok for pool decks? does the sealer make the deck slippery? Do the edges of the stamped slate hurt the feet at all?

I was also thinking of an exposed aggregate finish (w/ decorative pea gravel). Is the cost less than stamped? how is this finish on the feet? slippery with the sealer?

Not interested in pavers, or a dull gray broom swept finish, although a colored broom swept finish might be an option.

Any other suggestions? Anyone wish their deck was bigger or smaller in any areas? Was planning on a 3.5' wide deck round the perimeter with one large bump out for a deck and another small bump out (maybe 6') near the skimmer deck lid.

Behind the concrete perimeter.. was thinking 2-3 section of stone, but that is probably not comfortable if barefoot. Grass might be an option but a pain to mow. Any thoughts on this?

An "OleTimer" that I worked with in this industry had a very different outlook on all concrete decking. I heard him say it to several of his clients and I will now pass it on to you.

1) there are 2 types of concrete. Concrete that "is" cracked...and concrete that "will" be cracked

2) Stamped concrete is no exception to the above rule, it just cracks a little prettier.

3) There is only one gurantee with concrete decking. That is that it will never get stolen.

I push Paver for the cost, value, and longevity. If you do happen to get a spot the heaves or settles, the fix is siply pulling the pavers up and leveling the underlayment and then put the paver back down. If you ever want to add to them there is little concern to it not matching. If you ever choose to reconfigure your deck the pavers save you on time and money.

The house/pool came with concrete sidewalk style decking; it looked bad in the end: cracked and sunken in spots.

We now have Belgard Urbana pavers in the greenish color, and we are optimistic that they will turn out over the years to be the better choice.

Our surround is 4 feet wide, which is adequate almost everywhere. One side of the pool has a wide side for chaises longues that is 7 feet wide. This is the only bumpout area that is adequate; our 6-footer and 5' 6" bumpouts are not deep enough. They look nice, but the are not enough for the average reclining deck chair.

Lana

Not sure where the OP is located but we are in Texas and the summers can be brutal! We went with the Spray Deck or Kool Deck product and all I can say is that it is great when it comes to hot sunny days and the bottom of ones feet. We had a streak of 100 degree days this past summer for 18 days, pool was used every day and not one of the kids said thier feet were hot or felt burnt on the deck. Now the natural stone coping is like a skillet in the summer sun.
We looked at doing a agg deck as well as a salt deck, the spray deck was more but it looks great and the feel on the feet is great. Glad we went with it and would do it again.
Good luck!
JD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those of you that have Pavers, did you do it yourself or had a contractor? I am on a budget so if we go that route, we'll do it ourselves. It would be interesting though as to what the cost difference would be between Pavers or a solid Cement deck.

You can DYI it, but its a lot of work if you have never done anything like it before. Getting the surface level, puuting a little fall in it away from the pool, and basically getting the grade correct is a must. Renting a plate compactor is also a must. If you were going to contract out concrete, you really should get estimates for pavers. You might find in your area its almost the same price. You wont know until you get an estimate. Like I said, you can DYI it, but on a scle of 1-10. I'd give it at least a 7. And dont even try the coping. If you want to DYI pavers thats one thing, but the coping is another ballgame. If you get a mason or concrete guy to do the coping, shooting grades for the paver deck is much easier.

Malibu07 said:
Those of you that have Pavers, did you do it yourself or had a contractor? I am on a budget so if we go that route, we'll do it ourselves. It would be interesting though as to what the cost difference would be between Pavers or a solid Cement deck.
I vote for pavers too. Malibu07 you don't want to ask what we pay for pavers in Florida :party: , however IMO I agree with SCEADU. Another reason we went with pavers is because they make a 1.25" version which was great because we wanted to match the flamingo lounge with the rest of the area. The flamingo lounge and some area outside had a poured concrete pad. Look at out sig bar for more info :cheers: :cheers: Hope this helps to the OP :cheers: :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.