speed control on pump motor

greif

Jul 5, 2010
I have a 1.5 hp hayward pump. Can I put some kind of speed control on the motor to get variable speed or will that damage motor?

If not can I swap out motor instead of buying entire pump?

it's a matrix power flo matrix with ao smith motor

thanks

If you want a 2-speed pump, you're going to need to swap the motor for a 2 speed motor. Variable speed, you'll need a new pump. I just did a motor swap on my 1hp Sta-Rite and it was really easy, only a couple hours work. Good luck!

If you had a 3-phase pump it'd be easy to put a drive on it but with a single phase, it's gonna require a new motor. As GuamGuy said, it isn't a hard job. I recommend replacing the shaft seal when you change the motor just for good measure.

They do make single phase variable frequency drives but by the time you purchase the drive and the enclosure, you might as well upgrade to a variable speed pump. Also, a standard motor usually does not have the appropriate bearings for a variable speed drive so you will likely shorten the life of the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.