Help with plan to find return line leak under concrete deck

Lobo55

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 13, 2010
Late this summer I converted a Jandy Rayvac non booster cleaner to a Polaris 9600 with a Hayward booster pump. The line is 1 1/2 and I did not use the reducers to connect the booster to the return line off the filter or to the cleaner line.

I also added SWG and found TFP and pool is best it has looked in the 9 years I have owned it. Pool is early 90's install.

I had cut back on run times with cool weather and also knowing that pump would run at night when weather was cold. Have been adding water to pool ever now and then and weather has been overly dry. Thought had leak on pad but in hindsight that is not where it was based on current situation.

With the cold snap in DFW, freeze guard is keeping pump running more and I am seeing signs of a leak. Also having to add water every day now.

[attachment=0:282fe83c]Pool Leak.pdf[/attachment:282fe83c]

I do not think leak is by pad or accessible with a shovel based on where water is coming up. If the leak was on pad side, I would see water on that side of house. I am seeing it in a spot that leads me to believe that it is the cleaner line some where between pool wall and spa.

Any suggestions as to finding the leak with out calling someone out?

I am pretty handy and if I knew where to saw cut the deck, I would rent a saw and start this as a DIY project.

Thanks. I will try and post pictures over next few days.

Attachments

• Pool Leak.pdf
    94.3 KB · Views: 20
If you're a handy DIY'er, you should certainly be able to repair a leak as long as you can find it.

I do want you to be certain that you have a leak before you start cutting. It sounds like you do but do see the following page for leak detection. Consider the bucket test.

pool-school/leak_detection

A leak detection service may be money well spent. They can pinpoint the leak to within an inch or two for you and then you can do the rest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.