Pump/filter run-times

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Greetings from the only state without snow!

I see a lot of posts where it says the optimal run-time is whatever turns the pool over once a day. My question is: do I *have* to run the pump every day? Or just maintain FC at target + 2. For the record, the last set of numbers:

FC: 5
pH: 7.6
CYA: 50
Alk: 100
CH: 250
Borates: 50
Temp: guessing 70ish

My thinking: save some electricity (50% if I run the pump every other day instead of every day). Sanitation should be fine because not being used (and there is still FC). Algae control should be fine (helped by the borates). Yes, there will be surface debris that would make the pool "dirty" rather than optimally sparkling, but I can live with that.

As long as the numbers stay well above min, I shouldn't have issues, right?

I'd say you'd be fine. If you are swimming, I'd run it daily and always when there are swimmers in it, but if it's not used, just do what it takes to keep it looking nice.

Echoing what JohnT said, I am also for running the pump every day while open. You essentially want to turn the water over at least once per day. Experiment with it and see what happens.

> do I *have* to run the pump every day?

greetings from a couple hours south of you. I *do* run 24 hours/day but it is because I have total control over the power use of the pump. At 90-95 watts it costs very little, is totally silent and the low flow rate keeps the pool extremely clean. Before I had the IntelliFlow VF and ran conventional single speed pumps, I hated the noise they generated and actually used more power in running 4 hours each day compared to the VF running all day.

If you are set on saving electricity, it would be a good idea for you to install a variable speed pump. Check with your power company and ask if they give rebates on installing a variable speed pump. You can save anywhere from $30-$60 per month depending on current situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.