Feedback needed - Arizona Pool

RawhideKid

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
Hi all - below is a draft concept of the pool we want built this spring here in Goodyear AZ. It is about 40x20 foot, 30k gallons.

At the bottom of the design photo you can see the edge of a pool fence (white rails on bottom edge) and a post that is a support post for a covered patio.

Our major goals are a "swim lane" through the center - and a large (very large!) sunken bar that you can see clearly. I think the pool equipment likely will go in the lower left edge of the photo.

We have had two price quotes from four large local builders - Presidential, Shasta, Premier, and California Pools. Two do "bonded beam" edges and two do not. I'm 80% leaning towards a non-bonded beam edge, which would eliminate two of them quickly. I'm also going to get a quote from a "cost plus" custom builder - much smaller company but they have a positive BBB rating and may save us a LOT of money on this build. (Boulder Creek Pools) Feedback on this concept desired - I see the biggest issue with going with a cost plus/non big builder is the pool warranty itself. Will a small company be in business in 15 years if/when the pool shell cracks? If we save $15k of costs (today), what would it cost to do a repair 15 years from now? Less than the $15k? Will we even still be in this house then? Even large pool builders go out of business...

I'll do my best to paste the quote from one company below and gain feedback. As much as I have tried to get these builders to list the exact type of pool heater, lights, in-floor cleaner, filter system, etc. - they continue to provide a quote without that info listed. I have a list of items wanted and this quote is pretty close to what we desire, such as SWCG, in-floor cleaning system, filter cleaner, 400k heater, etc...

thx for any feedback.

RK

Attachments

• for tfp.jpg
    for tfp.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 230
Struggling to visually post the edited version of the quote. It's attached here without the "base cost" of $13,995, the tax ($5,000+ - ouch!) and the grand total - a whopping $78,427.68!!! If there is a way to present it without y'all having to click and download, please let me know, or perhaps one of the moderators can do it for me this one time?

I have two quotes so far at about this same level, but the attached quote is the most comprehensive. It does not include the roof over the bar, some of the "clean up" of the shrubbery around the pool, a fireplace we want near the edge of the sunken bar (facing into the bar) and any appliances in the sunken bar.

Like I said above, I'm really tired of insisting on more details on these quotes like the exact name of the pool heater. Really frustrating. But this gives you an idea of the size of this build.

The only major change we are considering is flipping this design completely - putting the bar and spa on the "wall side" of the pool rather than the yard side. Might have small impact in the cost...

again, thanks for any comments.

RK

Attachments

• pool estimate cropped.pdf
    205.4 KB · Views: 67
Pretty funny that the give you $429.00 off on a light in the discounts area, and then charge you $510.00 for an extra light in the electrical area!

It's going to be tough to get them to itemize each item by brand on that sheet, as it is just a boiler plate proposal sheet. I would think that they would provide you with a equipment brochure list with the presentation packet, but not on the proposal itself. IIRC, California Pools uses all Hayward stuff, just re-branded with their name on it. You won't get them to state what they are using since they do it that way, and you probably won't have much luck getting them to change brands either.

Hang in there :goodjob: Looks like a beautiful project!

I think it's too close to the house. Where will the Bar-B-Q, and tables go? Bringing food out ?

The fence will need automatic gates for the driveway and will need to meet higher standards for opening size than many decorative fences may have. Many people use the house as part of the fence.

Scott

Beware of the cost plus guys. We have one here in Atlanta and what the client doesn't think about is the fact that each sub gives their own warranty. However, if a pipe breaks under the deck the plumber will fix the broken pipe but the decking crew will not fix the deck that needs to be torn up. When I look at your proposal it gives me a headache. I would have the PB pin down where the EQ is going to be and give you hard numbers on the electrical and plumbing runs. Iwould do this will all of the unknowns. Clients tend to stuck on the first number they see and then when addendums come along one after the other it becomes a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.