Energy efficiency of filters, and too-often cleaning?

Hi Mark

Thanks for the numbers on your pump. Maybe I'm fussing about nothing, because my pump is using about 1/4 of a kilowatt, compared to nearly 2 kw for yours (your pool is 50% bigger than mine, though). I run mine for 10 hours/day, using 2.5KWH per day, which at the $0.20/KWH that the electric company charges me, works out to about $0.50/day or $15/mo, or $180/yr.

How long do you let your pump run, and do you have an estimate of how many turns/day you get in return? Hopefully, yours runs much less than mine, or perhaps your electricity is a lot cheaper than mine. Perhaps my setup is already insanely energy efficient, and I should stop worrying about it.

Thanks

Dan

First, I am running a 1 HP (1.85 BHP) single speed Northstar pump so there really is no comparison to an Intelliflo for efficiency. Your setup will be much more efficient. They didn't have Intelliflo Pumps when I built my pool otherwise I might of seriously considered it.

I have about a 4 hr turnover for my pool but I run the pump about 6 hours during the summer or about 360 kwh per month. PG&E has tier billing in CA and I, of course, am in the top tier paying $.32 / kwh for about 200 kwh & $.23/kwh for 160 kwh or about $100/month for the pump.

It looks like we will be going to time of day billing at some point and since I have solar, I would like to run during daylight hours. So soon I will seriously be considering a pump change because I know it will easily pay for itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.