QuartzScapes - I added some pics....

partypond

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2008
Frisco, Texas
We are trying to decide between these colors for our new pool. I would love to see pictures of pools that have any of these 3 QuartzScapes colors. Our builder is trying to find some we can go see to help us get a better idea of how blue the water is.

THANKS!!

Re: QuartzScapes - Super Blue, Tahoe Blue or French Grey-pics??

May I ask how you (or the builder) settled on the QuartzScapes product? I'll admit to not being a fan of the product, and I just wonder how that recommendation came about.

How much sun is on your pool? Where are you in Texas and do you
have any shade? Is the sun going to cook your water in summer? Maybe
stay away from the blue and gray surfaces regardless of brand/
type of surface.

Lana

Bruce - This is an option that many builders offer in our area and it was in our budget. We are going to view some colors and projects of the installer so we can see some of their work. I have read the good and bad of the product and understand the pros and cons.

Lana - we do get a good amount of sunlight but the shadows from our house and fence will give it some shade in the morning and late afternoon. That is something to think about.

The only reason that I hesitate to get behind that product is because 3M dropped out of the quartz plaster line over a year ago, and if they couldn't make people happy, I have a hard time thinking anyone can. Most often it is oversold, which does not help. It will lay down "blotchy", as the colored crystals go where they go, and it does tend to be a bit more abrasive than people expect.

I'm only asking so that you know what to really expect, and not what someone tells you. Good for you to go see some pools for color, but please look at the appearance and feel the texture first to make sure that you will be happy with it :goodjob:

here are some good pictures of Quartzscapes colors we did get to see....
Curacao Night, Montego Bay and Tahoe Blue

The Montego Bay was our favorite - it is a beautiful color!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6039 small.JPG
    IMG_6039 small.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 2,049
  • IMG_6028 small.JPG
    IMG_6028 small.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,902
  • IMG_6013 small.JPG
    IMG_6013 small.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 1,905
Thanks for the photos! We are having our plaster done on Friday and haven't seen many pictures of this product.

I have a question on your decking... you say you have spray deck with aggregate effect. What is that?

Thanks!

We have agreed to a deal with our pool builder (no contract signed yet) and we, too, are considering either Colorscapes or Quartzscapes for our pool. The PB didn't "push" these products, and only mentioned them when we asked if there were alternatives to white plaster. Our motivation in asking about alternatives was that the plain white plaster would tend to show ALL traces of dirt, whereas having one of these products added might help to hide dirt until I get in there to brush/vacuum.

We're in Tulsa, and suffering thru our hottest summer ever, so we know we don't want a darker color in the pool, as the last thing we want to do is raise the water temperature.

Our pool builder said that, for some pool installations, these products will add a bit more longevity to the plaster because they contain a type of acrylic bonding agent (I might not have the correct terminology here). For his pools, he says they're pretty much just cosmetic because he adds the same type of agent to all his plaster jobs.

We're hoping our pool builder will be able to find a couple of finished pools with these in them for us to look at. It's REALLY hard to decide only looking as the little 2" samples from the PB or looking online.

Gayle - you are welcome - it is very hard to make decision off of samples! Our deck is concrete with a spray coating that gives it texture and color - like Sundek. Our effect is a beige base and then brown, white and tan speckles to give it an aggregate effect. We really like it and haves been happy with our choice.

mhosborn - you are welcome to come down to Dallas and see our pool.:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: QuartzScapes - Super Blue, Tahoe Blue or French Grey-pic

simicrintz said:
The only reason that I hesitate to get behind that product is because 3M dropped out of the quartz plaster line over a year ago, and if they couldn't make people happy, I have a hard time thinking anyone can. Most often it is oversold, which does not help. It will lay down "blotchy", as the colored crystals go where they go, and it does tend to be a bit more abrasive than people expect.

I'm only asking so that you know what to really expect, and not what someone tells you. Good for you to go see some pools for color, but please look at the appearance and feel the texture first to make sure that you will be happy with it :goodjob:
First of all this statement is very misleading to people who are unaware of the truth behind 3M™ discontinuing their Colorquartz™ pool finishes.

The fact of the matter is 3M™ is multibillion dollar company who continually analyzes their product lines for profitability. At the end of 2009 during a weak economy they decided to discontinue their ENTIRE Colorquartz™ line of products all together, with the exception of the roofing products. So everyone from flooring companies to aquarium enthusiasts was dealt this news. I've attached a PDF of an original 3M™ Colorquartz™ brochure which shows the many product lines that were affected by this decision, again with the exception of the roofing products as stated in the following taken from 3M's website back in August of 2009.

Announcement – August 17‚ 2009

Following a review of its product portfolio‚ 3M is today announcing the phase out of its Colorquartz™ Ceramic Coated Crystals product line‚ both the S grade and T grade products‚ by December 31‚ 2009.
The phase out is related to business conditions in the markets utilizing Colorquartz™. There is no impact on or change to our Roofing Granule product lines.
There is currently inventory of most colors in Wausau. The amount varies by color. 3M will accept orders for this material at current prices on a first come first serve basis. Final orders should be placed by September 15‚ 2009. 3M will consolidate these and communicate the following shipment quantity to our customers by September 30‚ 2009. We are committed to an orderly phase out.
Please contact me or your sales rep with any questions.
Sincerely,

Frederick D. Zonino
Sales and Marketing Manager
[attachment=1:2fkx4kuw]3M_Colorquartz_Crystals_Color_Chart2 1_001.jpg[/attachment:2fkx4kuw]
[attachment=0:2fkx4kuw]3M_Colorquartz_Crystals_Color_Chart2 2_001.jpg[/attachment:2fkx4kuw]

With competition and multiple companies making knockoffs of the Colorquartz™ line it was not profitable for them to continue producing it and and saying if 3M "couldn't make people happy, I have a hard time thinking anyone can" is nonsense and as far as the finish looking "blotchy" due to the crystal going where they go, that is also misleading.

Those who have had bad experiences with ANY quartz finish is usually due to poor workmanship, bad start-up and bad after care.

QuartzScapes is a very good product, however it is only as good as the team applying it from the mixing to the final acid "rinse" not wash to expose the quartz aggregate. Followed by probably the just as important Start-Up procedure and finally the after care.

I just completed the start-up on a QuartzScapes Blue finish that is absolutely impeccable and as the builder as well as the owner of the plaster company have both stated, it is the most uniform quartz job they have seen after the start-up was completed compared to other start-up methods.

The key to this is of course the application process but also "The Start-Up Procedure" itself which is the Bicarb Method. Usually with a traditional it takes months for the surface to even out or to look uniform, but this is not the case if you perform a well timed Bicarb Method start-up. And by well timed I mean working with the plasterer and allowing a minimum of 6 hours between the final acid rinse and commencing the filling process. Acid start-ups are simply bad for any pool surface period.

Those that have trouble applying the quartz product or doing the start-ups don't know how to do them properly in the first place and will usually talk negative about the finish.

I'll attach some pics for those to see how it can be done if you willing to put forth the effort you will be rewarded. And a properly done QuartzScapes is in the middle of the road between plaster and pebble but as long as the plaster company does not overdo the exposing process you will be very happy I am sure.

Find a plaster company who has good experience and reputation with Quartz finishes and then insist on a Bicarb Start-Up and if you are doing it yourself make sure you add 50 ppm Boron (borates) during the start-up period as soon as the pool is filled, this helps in the maintaining your pH below the necessary 8.2 mark as well as the many other benefits following your start-up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.