Shocking in Winter?

Jan 7, 2011
North Texas
Greetings,
just got onto TFP recently and am learning a ton! ( great forum!!) Got a couple of questions.
We will be switching to the BBB method later this year after our pool is resurfaced in the spring. In the meantime, what I had learned so far ( of course from the pool stores) is to shock the pool after rain. Does that generally apply after rain in the winter and cold as well?
Also, I have a sinking suspicion that when I break in the new test kit, I am going to find the CYA is high ( just a guess) and that we prob have some metal build up ( a few dark spots on wall that will not brush off)..we just moved in a little over 4 months ago and the FC ( i think that's what the test strips test, what I have been using) was off the charts. I know previous owner was just trying to keep the pool clear for us..Texas summers can burn up the chlorine fast is what I've heard. We are not planning on using the pool again until after resurfacing...how much should I be doing to the pool before then ( worrying about CYA, metals etc). Right now we are just concentrating on the basics that we learned with test strips...TA, PH, etc.
TIA,
B

Don't worry about shocking until the pool is open. Cold water tends not to have any problems with algae, and other things aren't a concern when you aren't swimming.

Welcome to the boards! Freakishly enough, keeping my pool/pump/filter from freezing this weekend is much more of a concern than any FC levels at the moment! You'll be fine. And expect to lose 3-4 ppm per day on the FC number if that pool is in full sun all day down here in summer.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Other than at pool closing and opening, I haven't shocked the pool in 2 years...imagine that :lol: Amazing what TFP/Pool School and that little TF100 testkit can do :goodjob:

FWIW, shocking is a proces rather than a product.

Yup, gonna get pretty cold! rain just changed to snow too :) Glad to hear I can keep things low key until the resurface!
Now, about that being concerned about freezing, we have the thingy ( sorry, don't know technical term) that kicks in at 38 degrees and runs the pool pump/polaris..we should be okay there right? Or is there something else I should be doing? It's been ok below freezing on previous cold evenings. LOL, kinda afraid of my electric bill next month. Also, while I am thinking about it, when the pumps run most of the night like that, can I just not run it during the day? I know we only need to run it about 4 hours during the winter.
Thanks again!! ya'll are awesome. :)
B

PS just read the latest post...i am so excited that I shouldn't have to shock the pool in the future! I am SOOOO happy I found this site!

Hey,

Welcome to the forum :lol: You could actually probably reset the auto-freeze protect down a little lower.....probably 30 if it were me. It's a judgment call but it will help you save a little more on the electric bill.

And, yes, you can probably eliminate running it during the day when it has run a good bit at night. Simply use judgment again and run it enough to keep your pool reasonably clean.

Electricity is cheaper than pool repairs/replacing equipment. If it's freezing and there is water in the plumbing---------Run the pump! Supposed to be well below freezing here-----but probably not solid/ will rise above during the day.......so I went and bought a generator to run it off of should we lose power while its' freezing. Been wanting one anyhow!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.