Winter Chemicals

michiele

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
This will be my first year to close our pool and to do the winter chemicals. We had a pool guy come out and close it last year and he came back every month or so to add chemicals. I was wondering how that process works. I assume he was trying to keep some chlorine level in the pool. He would open up part of the safety cover and pour in some chlorine granules.

What does everyone else do about winter chemicals? Our pool will be winterized in late October with the pool pump off... Is it safe to pour in chlorine with no circulation? What level should I keep the chlorine at during the winter? CYA level around 40. Does anyone just leave the pool as is until spring, adding no chemicals? Thanks.

I think most people who close simply leave the pool alone. Adding chemicals over the winter is a known thing that a fair number of people do, but the majority just ignore it.

If you do any any chemcials over the winter it is important to get them at least somewhat mixed into the water, which can be kind of tricky with the cover in the way and no pump.

I was under the impression that having chlorine in your pool damages the cover due to the gassing off of the chlorine. This may not be an issue with just a tarp type cover but with an expensive safety cover I'd want it to last a long time so I keep the chlorine out of the pool while it's covered. I've noticed that none of the pool closing kits contain any chlorine, just Stain & Scale, Winter Algicide and a Borax floater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.