Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter Chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter Chemicals

This will be my first year to close our pool and to do the winter chemicals. We had a pool guy come out and close it last year and he came back every month or so to add chemicals. I was wondering how that process works. I assume he was trying to keep some chlorine level in the pool. He would open up part of the safety cover and pour in some chlorine granules.

What does everyone else do about winter chemicals? Our pool will be winterized in late October with the pool pump off... Is it safe to pour in chlorine with no circulation? What level should I keep the chlorine at during the winter? CYA level around 40. Does anyone just leave the pool as is until spring, adding no chemicals? Thanks.
    Michiele
    Newbie pool owner
    25,000 gallon inground, vinyl lined pool, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

michiele, I just winterize my pool at closing the put the cover on it and do nothing till time to open it again, never had a problem. But look at my name You may not want to listen to me
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    I think most people who close simply leave the pool alone. Adding chemicals over the winter is a known thing that a fair number of people do, but the majority just ignore it.

If you do any any chemcials over the winter it is important to get them at least somewhat mixed into the water, which can be kind of tricky with the cover in the way and no pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Winter Chemicals

I was under the impression that having chlorine in your pool damages the cover due to the gassing off of the chlorine. This may not be an issue with just a tarp type cover but with an expensive safety cover I'd want it to last a long time so I keep the chlorine out of the pool while it's covered. I've noticed that none of the pool closing kits contain any chlorine, just Stain & Scale, Winter Algicide and a Borax floater.
    Polaris 380 Blackmax

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info. I guess I won't worry about putting chlorine in during the winter. But, does the water get algae in it or anything during the winter?
    Michiele
    Newbie pool owner
    25,000 gallon inground, vinyl lined pool, sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6
    Some people get algae over the winter, some don't. As long as the water temperature is below 60 degrees any algae that does get started will grow extremely slowly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School