My Pool build...filling tomorrow!

Hpdrifter

LifeTime Supporter
Ok here's the layout...notice that I turned the sprinklers off 2 weeks before they started to keep ground hard and to mimimize damage. Nothing like a blank slate to work with! the Orange line shows where my deep end was going to start with the diving board and 8 foot depth. after seeing how little room I'd have in shallow end. I opted to get rid of diving board and go with 7 foot deep end.

<a>
Pool012.jpg
</a>

<a>
Pool011.jpg
</a>

Watching the Gunnite process was fun! These guys did good work!

<a>
Pool040.jpg
</a>

<a>
Pool043.jpg
</a>

gunite done! Notice that I had PB change the "spa" are of my pool by losing the seperating wall and the jets. (I already have a spa built into my deck! I just wanted some extra seating room there!

<a>
Pool060.jpg
</a>

Next was the coping, tile and stone work for the two waterfalls! I've always like the white travertine as it feel good against the skin and provides a good hand hold for getting out!

<a>
Pool062.jpg
</a>

Better shot the the total "shape" BTW check out how the grass came back after a few days of rain. Looked dead as dead can be before that.

<a>
Pool097.jpg
</a>

<a>
Pool071.jpg
</a>

the boring stuff...the Pump, heater and control box. You can see my deck in the background. Timbertec composite material. Behind the privacy fence is my spa. the house blocks 2 sides, the fence the third so it works out well! You may wonder why I didn't move the "junk back so it would be entirely behind the privacy fence? Well I built the spa into the deck so if I need to pull the spa out or access the insides, which I have done, I can't have that area blocked!

<a>
Pool072.jpg
</a>

I went with 1000 feet of stamped concrete. It is a slate look which matches the deck in color and matches the blue stone cap along the top ridge of the waterfalls. The stamped has a sealent on top of it with a texture added so it feels like sharkskin. (hopefully to protect from slipping on it when it's wet.) Another design safety idea was to not circle the whole pool in concrete. I have kids and I suspect they would tend to run around the whole pool like a race track if they could. I plan to use landscaping river rock on that back berm.

<a>
Pool101.jpg
</a>

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOWZERS....I am blown away at the size of your properties down south. Are these Rural?

Up here standard sizes are around 100 X 100, lots of those size are always in the country.

GREAT looking pool, love the bball net, I can see some serious slamming competitions in your future.

Enjoy!

Rik

thanks for the nice comments! My lot is just a wee bit over 1 acre. I live in a development where the minimum lot size is .5 acre. All the properties on my block and behind me are at least 1 arce lots. (Makes for good space between the houses). The small town I live in is fairly rural however I'm in NJ only 30 minutes outside of Philadelphia and 10-15 minutes from Cherry Hill, NJ (biggest town nearby) Being in NJ, it's tough to really say you're "rural" unless you live in the Southern most counties. As for the Hoop game...anyone wanna shoot a few? lol!

Pool Suggest/Lessons for a New Pool

Great looking pool-wish mine was that big. Love the expanded sitting area idea. Looks like you lucked out on the dig-my builders (Anthony Sylvan) hit sold granite which we had to chip out for an extra cost. This is my second season (near Philadelphia), so feel free to ask questions regarding lessons since I live in the same area as you. (send me a private message and I will give you my email).

Of note-my plaster is also white and I also have a Nature 2 system, DE filter. I found, that entering into the 2nd season, the Nature 2 was causing the plaster to develop a slight yellow-orange tinted spotty color in various pool areas (like a film, that will not come off)(makes the pool bottom look dirty-wish I had used a color blue tinted plaster). I also had an algae breakout (no visible green-but lost all of the chlorine over one night and the pool got cloudy). After much help from the forums (this one and pool forum), we all agreed the algae was due to the low chlorine inventory of the NAture 2 system and its inability to handle a sudden outbreak (came from a week of rain)(I was using the BBB method and maintaining 1ppm chlorine (even higher than NAture 2 recommends with a 30-40 CYA). Lessons learned is a that I increased my chlorine level up to 2.5-3.5ppm and quit using the Nature 2 system!!! (saves me $100 cartridge each season). You should do some searches, before you buy a replacement cartridge.

I also invested in a sold winter pool cover (not mesh). When I opened the pool this past May the water was clear!!! this year, where as my neighbor's was pea green (he has a mesh). You need poly 60 and shock levels of chlorine before covering that pool

I also late this season bought a salt water generator (Autopilot Digital) as I got tired of lugging all of those chlorox bottles. I was using 1.5ppm chlorine per day in July-August(my pool is in the southside no trees of the house (which for me was a 1.4gal jug of chlorox every 2 days-you will be more since your pool looks like a 45000 gal pool. The Autopilot SWG has been tremendous in the past 3 weeks-wonder how I managed without it, and I even installed it myself and saved $1000. There is a local installer but he charges you retail prices and the install is very easy-

A must is a good pool tester so you test daily-I found the pool stores are all over the map as to results (including Leslie). They sell a good titrant kit here on this forum. I myself shifted over to LaMotte ColorQ. They also have a PC-4. Both use a device that measures the color intensity of some reagent drops you put into a test tube and measure more consistently the various pool chemistry values. I have been very happy with ColorQ and have found the results to have reasonable accuracy when I compare results with my titrant kit.

It sounds like your landscaping is figured out. Make sure you have at least a 5ft buffer zone between your grass and the pool OR lawn mowing will be guaranteed to migrate to the water. I have 4ft with a fence and rock, and still pick up some grass clippings from the pool after I mow and of course they all sink so have to run the Polaris 360 longer.

am i blind or is there only one skimmer and one light, i have a pool just a tad bigger and, let me tell you one light wont do it, and a skimmer only on one side for that big of pool isn't good eather, it will work, but it would be more effecent if they put on eskimmer on each side, but im not the expert you PB is, LOOKS FABULAS, i love it.

I only have a 24,000 gallon pool, and my one skimmer does not come close to keeping the pool clean (I have a bunch of redwood and pine trees around the pool, and there is a continuous dropping of needles into the pool).

PoolSkim in-pool skimmer has been a godsend. I cannot recommend it enough.

www.poolskim.com

[video width=400 height=350]http://www.poolskim.com/small_movie.wmv[/video]

Most of the retailers that were carrying the PoolSkim no longer seem to be doing so, and I had to get mine by sending an e-mail listed at www.poolskim.com. The cost was about $75 plus $15 for shipping for a total of $90. The darn thing is worth at LEAST twice that amount in my book. I swear that it picks up 2-3 times more debris than the "real" skimmer.

Titanium

sorry to go off topic here and steal your thred, but i have two questions on the poolskim

1. i have 4 returns, will it work with more that two returns

2. what if i hooked it up to my vac port, would it destroy it or work 5 times as good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.