Chlorinator off - Low Temp message

Sep 23, 2010
SC Lowcountry
On my SWCG (SmartControl PL-P-4-X288) I am getting the message "Chlorinator Off Low Temperature", while the unit is running during the day. I've been running Super Chlorinate periodically to keep my FC correct. Is there any way to adjust the controller to generate chlorine during the normal pump run times? I've scanned the manual but have been unable to find anything.

Thanks

What bk406 said.

What you can do once the water gets too cold for the SWCG cell to function is simply manually chlorinate with bleach until the water warms up again in the spring.

The cell is very inefficient when the water is cold, which is why many SWGs shut down at cold temperatures. Cold water shouldn't need much chlorine, so manual dosing is much easier than it is during the summer.

Water temp currently is 46 degrees. Unusually cold weather here the last 2 weeks. Neglected to check water chemistry for a week or so during the holidays and when I did there was no chlorine. The pool was installed in August, so this is all new territory for me. So manual dosing would be wiser than to Super Chlorinate as needed? Pool is a Viking Laguna (14K). How much bleach would you suggest to begin with?

salp said:
http://www.thepoolcalculator.com

Depends on where you want your FC, but you could pour a gallon in until you figure things out!

And if you dump a gallon in there, it may well persist in the water for several weeks depending on how cold it gets there. I never close and typically add about a gallon a month during the coldest part of winter.

Very Similar Issue with my pool,
One day the Sensor (Jandy Aquapure) was reading normally, the next day I only get a temp. reading. Is that normal for cold weather?
The water temperature is 41*
I knew I was low on salt from the previous reading(s) so I added more. Today I cleaned the sensor and grids on the Aquapure Chlorine Generator.
They were both clean enough to eat off. Zero build up on the sensor or plates.
Am I correct in reading that the unit shuts itself down when it's too cold? If so, then great! Liquid chlorine until the weather warms us is easy, and I don't have to buy a new sensor.

If I am wrong about the temp. and sensor functions please enlighten me.

Thank you all on this forum for your expert assistance.
Ron

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not everyone may be able to get away with this but when the water temp drops to where the SWG shuts off, I don't bother adding chlorine manually because algae doesn't grow very well below 50 degrees plus the chlorine that the SWG did produce before the water temp dropped will usually carry over several days if not a week or two until the SWG kicks back on again. This is my fifth winter operating this way and I never had a algae bloom.

Strannik said:
it's not cold water production itself, but the fact that the conductivity drops and it requires cell to work much harder to produce chlorine

In your opinion, if one was to rely on Super Chlorinating their pool to maintain FC levels during the winter, would that practice shorten the life of the cell? Hypothetical question only. I plan on using bleach as needed, but your post made me curious about cell life.

Thanks again guys. I'm so glad I found this site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.