Aqua Rite Reading "HOT"

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
Hi Everyone,

I've had my aquarite a few years now but recently I got a "Hot" reading and checked the temp and it read 184F. This can't be as the water should be around 65F.

I also cleaned the cell and still got a "HOT" reading.

This is what is shown on the control panel:

"HOT"
Power: On
Generating: Flashing
Check Cell: Illuminated
Check Salt: Illuminated
Temp: 184
% output: 40

Thanks poolschoolgrad.

Below are the current readings. I turned the system off last night but the temp still climbed from 184 - 204 so I disconnected the chord to the cell and now the temp reads 77.

1. Temp - 204
2. Cell voltage - 28.3
3. Cell current - 0.00
4. output % - 80
5. salinity - 0
6 produt name - AL 0
7. Software revision level - r 1.55

Aquatica

Cell voltage should be 22 to 25 volts when generating otherwise 30-35v
Cell current is normally between 4.5 and 7.8

Normally, when the cell starts to fail, the cell voltage will increase and the cell current will decrease.
Temperature returning to normal range after disconnecting the cell would also indicate a defective cell.
A sudden decrease in the displayed salt concentration can be a sign of an aging cell. Salinity = 0 is not a good sign. :cry:

The OEM Goldline cells have 3 year warranty so you are just past the warranty period. :rant:
The last T-cell-15 that I purchased was $445 including shipping so shop around on the net for your best deal.
Be sure to order the correct size replacement cell for your controller.

before I took over handling my pool myself I had a pool guy but he wasn't keeping the pool in good condition. I noticed he was adding like 1 gallon of acid everytime he came. this went on for like 2 months. could this have shortened the cell life?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A gallon seems like a lot but if the pool was newly plastered and more than 15 thousand gallons, the combination of the salt cell and curing plaster can use that much.

Without any history, nobody can say definitively. I do find it unlikely however that that was the cause, based on past experience.

Scott

edited to correct typo

PoolGuyNJ said:
A gallon seems like a lot but if the pool was newly plastered and more than 15 thousand gallons, the combination of the salt cell and curing plaster can use that much.

Without any history, nobody can say definitively. I do fine it unlikely however that that was the cause, based on past experience.

Scott

Thanks for your input Scott. much appreciated.

had a repair guy come and check out the cell. he said I was using the wrong salt. I was using rock salt.

he also said I should have a cartridge filter and that the DE filters don't work well with salt systems.

none of this makes any sense to me. how about you?

Well, the DE filter vs cartridge filter is bogus. Not sure why he would say that; it's plain wring.

As for the rock solar salt, i'm not sure what htat is. Generally you do not want to use rock salt (like road salt) as it contains impurities. Can you tell us what brand it is and what does the packaging say and look like? you can use water softner salt, but it takes longer to dissolve than granular salt.

bk406 said:
Well, the DE filter vs cartridge filter is bogus. Not sure why he would say that; it's plain wring.

As for the rock solar salt, i'm not sure what htat is. Generally you do not want to use rock salt (like road salt) as it contains impurities. Can you tell us what brand it is and what does the packaging say and look like? you can use water softner salt, but it takes longer to dissolve than granular salt.

Its Mortons water softner salt. Its not the fine salt..like small rocks. it comes in a 80lb blue bag and I think it says solar on the bag.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/produc ... b5_400.jpg

the repair said he could fix the cell. I think I will just buy a new one. I guess the cell might be able to fix by maybe splicing wires back together or something but I read somewhere on here that doesn't work.

I would never trust that repair guy, either what he says or does.

The cord on the cell is not replaceable or serviceable.

A new cell is in order. Don't get it from that service guy. Buy it on line and save. **

Scott

** I never thought I would say that.

PoolGuyNJ said:
I would never trust that repair guy, either what he says or does.

The cord on the cell is not replaceable or serviceable.

A new cell is in order. Don't get it from that service guy. Buy it on line and save. **

Scott

** I never thought I would say that.

absolutely! thanks Scott. thanks to everyone for all your input. Its much appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.