Generator Dead, should I replace?

pk1

Jun 13, 2007
My Pool Pilot generator power supply has died and I'm not sure I should replace it. While the system worked great for five years, I'm somewhat amazed at how easy the pool has been to take care of by just adding bleach. It sure seems like the water balance stays much more consistent with the generator off (pH and alkalinity much more stable).

I did replace the cell last year with a generic cell, so I'm not sure if that could have contributed to the power supply failure. The generator did seem to die conicident with thunderstorm we had back in November.

I do have a combined ozone/salt generator (Claripure). If I don't use the salt system, should I also bypass the ozone generator?

Thanks.

Using a salt-chlorine generator is nice if you want to have one less chemical to add to the pool. Considering that a two gallon pack of chlorine at Home Depot is $12, the payoff happens pretty quickly. But yes, it is true that if you have the system in place, the pH tends to be a lot higher. That is because the chlorine gas produced from the cell has a high pH, also resulting in a alkalinity level that bounces around a lot. Having an ozone generator as well makes your pool sanitize the water that much better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.