New small pool in Sugar Land, TX

Oct 14, 2010
Finally after several weeks of going back and forth with the design we signed last thursday with Pearland Pools!

They have been great working with us so far and I can't wait to see my pool!!!...

Area: 389 sq ft
Depth: 3'6" - 6'
Size: 14' x 32'
Capacity: 13,000 gls

Equipment
Filter: Hayward C4025 Cartdridge Filter
Main Pump: Hayward Tristar 1.0 HP
Lights: Colorlogic LED
Time Clock: Intermatic Dual Time Clock
Chlorinator: Aquarite Salt/Chlorine Generator
Cleaner: Polaris 280 w/booster
Waterfeature: 1 - 24" and 2 12" scuppers
Waterfeature pump: 1.0 KP Super II

For the experts out there... let me know if this sounds good.

As soon as I find out how to upload pictures, I will post the 'final' design.

And the adventure begins!!!... I am so excited.

firstpoolforme

Hi firstpoolforme,

Very nice looking pool and surrounding's. Going to be a nice addition to your home. I am by no mean's an expert but instead of having 3 pump's could you just go with 1 pump and an electronic controller. Like a pentair VF pump.http://pentairpool.com/pool-owner/products/pumps-inground-intelliflo-vf-high-performance-pump-77.htm
Also I know what a pain it could be to brush the walls of the pool and in your drawing it doesn't seem you would have any access to the backside to brush the wall's down very well. Just a thought or two. Good luck with your pool and have fun with it. :-D

I am going to respectfully disagree with you, SCCS. I absolutely hate the thought of one pump trying to do the work of three (in this case). A solid circulation pump, another for the spa jets and yet another for the water feature allow for any possibility of control of all items. A one pump system, when in spa mode, does not allow for the water feature to work, for example. If you use the circ pump as the jet pump also, then you can run into issues if solar or a suction side cleaner is used. Some of this can be overcome with automation and different programs for different options (cleaner run times, solar run time,etc.), but it is a bit of programming, and not everyone is comfortable with that.

Just my .02! I like to have specific pumps to do specific work. May cost a bit more, but when I'm in the spa and guest says "hey, turn on that cool water feature", I don't want to say "I can't 'cuz we're using the spa now and I don't have a pump to do that" :cool:

Very nice design! Pearland Pools does an awesome job. Looks like you have a relatively small space to work with like we did. I used Oceanside glass tile and love it - it has been more than worth the price to me because of its stunning looks...but if you use it, keep the pH in tight control to keep from getting calcium deposits. I'm now trying to not let it rise above much above 7.6....7.7 max before I add acid, and things are looking better this way. Before I was letting it get to 7.8 before I lowered it and got a little bit of deposit on my overspill. Just the way my pool works.

The only thing I see are the planters near the raised bond beam and the other one. It looks pretty in the pics, but when you catch one of our torrential downpours and it overflows the planters and/or pool (it's happened to us twice since we built), you'll be washing soil and fertilizer into the pool. We've learned this lesson, and are now putting a small brick retaining enclosure around the palms planted at the end of the pool to keep soil and mulch contained. It's a minor point, but can be a real annoyance even with splashed-in water...especially salt water, and you'll also probably kill any plant there. I'd keep plants behind the bond beam and in pots on the deck. JMHO for easier upkeep. :wink:

Post lots of pics with your build and congrats on the decision!! :whoot:

Simicrintz,

I don't see a spa in the pictures. I assumed there was only a pool. YES, it would take a good programmer to set everything up so that the valves and pump could change to the desired feature or feature's. I do agree if there is a spa a multipump setup would be better. Just my thought's.

Thanks to everyone for posting!...

simicrintz and SCCS:
Thanks for your input. I won't have a spa. I will ask Pearland Pools (PP) about having one or two pumps. For what I understand they wanted to have one as the main pump and the other one for the water features.

I didn't even think about the brushing... I thought the pool cleaner would do everything for me :)
The wall is 30" tall, I will ask PP for their input on this. Thanks for bringing this up!

Pisces
I LOVE your pool, your tile selections are superb!... I am now thinking on using a tile blend: glass tile and travertine, since the coping and bench would be travertine. I thought about the planter. I was thinking I will plant some outdoor plant and add some pebbles on top, so that it won't splash any sod, etc.

Thanks for all your input. Please keep them coming!

firstpoolforme

Thank you so much! We've had zero regrets on the choices. You will love the glass tile and travertine! Just be sure you seal your travertine...I used Dry Treat and it was worth the $$. Easy to do yourself...get it through your PB at Mastertile.

You may not have a lot of problem with the planters since they are small...and the pebbles on top may do the trick! It was a very very very minor point anyway! Just enjoy the pool build..you've made a great choice for a Pool Builder. Can't wait to see pictures. I got my Oceanside tile through...oh heck...I'm having a blank moment - sorry...anyway it's in my build thread. Go see them after you've looked at selections on Oceanside's website, but be prepared to drool your way through the store. OMG. :shock: Fabulous stuff. PM me if you need any more information. This stuff is kinda difficult to install, though...you need specific materials, but I'll bet Pearland can handle it. Congrats on the build!

SCCS said:
Simicrintz,

I don't see a spa in the pictures. I assumed there was only a pool. YES, it would take a good programmer to set everything up so that the valves and pump could change to the desired feature or feature's. I do agree if there is a spa a multipump setup would be better. Just my thought's.

I didn't look at the picture real well ( :oops: ), and I just read three pumps and went from there! Next time I'll pay more attention; sorry 'bout that :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:wave:
Update: Pearland Pools-Randy was at home last week doing the layout of the pool. So much easier to 'see' where the pool will be.

:hammer:
Minor issue: Last Tuesday, Centerpoint had to re route a gas line that was going through the left corner of the pool. $$$ to re-route!... on that side we have a building line, not a utility line, but I would think Centerpoint should be paying for that!!!

Now, we are waiting for city approvals!!! Hopefuly we will be digging next week! :party:

firstpoolforme said:
Minor issue: Last Tuesday, Centerpoint had to re route a gas line that was going through the left corner of the pool. $$$ to re-route!... on that side we have a building line, not a utility line, but I would think Centerpoint should be paying for that!!!

Did you call Dig Alert (usually they just check for the feed line from the street to the meter though) first? Most guys X-Ray vision systems are broke ( :shock: :-D ) and they can't see what is underground! Check your contract first, as they typically read "not responsible for underground" or something similar, before you try and get them to pay for it. That way you don't start out on a "bad" footing from the beginning.

I once hit gas, electric, sewer, cable and phone on the same dig. Not too many happy campers that day, but I had no idea it was there, and neither did anyone else. Everything had to be rerouted, but it was not covered on my scope as it was excluded for just this reason (I was the superintendent on this job, so it wasn't me being a jerk!).

I'm sorry this occurred to you, but I do want you to know what you probably will be up against if you approach the builder and ask him to pay for it.

Thanks simicrintz. Actually I wasn't expecting my PB to pay for it, I knew it wasn't included per the contract. I actually wanted Centerpoint to pay for it, since it wasn't under the utility easement. I asked them, and they said they didn't have to be there... so we ended up paying that ourselves :-( Less for the glass tile wall I guess double :-(

It is official - we are having a pool. Pearland Pools were here this morning digging the pool. They were done in a few hours. Now, I don't have grass anymore... just a big dirty hole!

Now, let's talk tile. What do you think about these options for the raised wall?

Attachments

• IMG_5259.jpg
    IMG_5259.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_5262.jpg
    IMG_5262.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 858
Thanks. The tile is from Susan Jablon (www.susanjablonmosaics.com), she is a great artist from New York. Her tile is beautiful and her customer service is fantastic. I haven't decided which one we are using yet.

The pool is pretty close to the house. 5 ft from the guest bedroom window and another 5 ft from the existent patio. We are leaving around 10 ft on the side from where I was taking the picture for deck and another 15-17 after that for regular grass - that's where we have the kids trampoline. So I will still need my lawn mower... :)

UPDATE: Today... PB was there at 7am to start the framing (steal) they said they were going to be done by noon-1pm and this afternoon they will start the plumbing... I thought that was fast!...

I'll keep you posted... keep the comments coming... which tile do you prefer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.