tests required for first use after water replacement

Aug 24, 2010
hi all:

I just switched my spa from Bromine to Chlorine. I drained the water, cleaned it out then refilled. I then shocked with chlorine and drained again. I then made a mistake :( I filled it again, and overshocked - very badly. So I decided to partially drain again - to bring the chlorine level down.

Might not have been the best idea - but everything is good now. Chlroine and PH levels are both OK. Are there any other tests that I should do on the water before going in the spa?

I just have a PH/Chlorine test kit - and won't be able to get water in to the store for full testing until next week. I'd like to use the spa in the mean time, if it is safe to do so :)

Any insight is appreciated!

Do you know if you live in a hard water area or if you used well water to fill the spa? It would be good to know the Calcium Hardness (CH) and Total Alkalinity (TA) levels so that you can avoid scaling. If you have a water report from your municipal water district, it should be able to tell you both the CH and TA levels.

If your CH level is very low, then you might experience some foaming in the water, especially if you don't rinse your swimsuit and skin of any soap. This is just annoying and not a serious problem.

You should get yourself a proper test kit.

What did you use for shocking with chlorine? If you used Dichlor, then the water is probably safe to use if the chlorine level has dropped somewhat, but if you used only bleach then it will likely be too strong.

Not well water - but not sure if our water is hard. I will try and get some further details on it. I'll also take the water for full testing on Tuesday - the wife won't let me drop the money on my own test kit :)

As far as what I used to shock it - it was HTH shock it. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... ?locale=en

The chlorine level has more than just dropped somewhat - the initial readings were off the charts high :oops: It is now down to ~3 in my home kit.

mrgreen said:
Not well water - but not sure if our water is hard. I will try and get some further details on it. I'll also take the water for full testing on Tuesday - the wife won't let me drop the money on my own test kit :)As far as what I used to shock it - it was HTH shock it. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... ?locale=en

The chlorine level has more than just dropped somewhat - the initial readings were off the charts high :oops: It is now down to ~3 in my home kit.

It is good $ well spent considering the potential cost down the road due to scale build-up on equipment ie heating elements.
Try that angle. :wink:
Barry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.