Dropping pump pressure

hillyjd

Sep 25, 2009
Tucson AZ
I've got a 5 yr old pool with in-floor cleaning system with cartridge filter. Normally when I put in a clean filter, the pressure gauge on the cartridge shows about 20 psi. I usually change the filter when the pressure reads between 28 & 30 psi. Last couple of times, the pressure reads about 18 psi when I put in a new filter. This time it's at 16.5 psi. I've checked the impeller and cleaned the pump filter basket. Pump seems noisier than before. I've got a clear cover on the pump filter and there does not appear to be any pump cavitation, so I'm thinking there's not an issue with suction. The pressure at the cleaning nozzles is definitely less than normal. Do pumps start to lose pressure over the year? Should I replace?

The pump shouldn't just lose pressure over time. Most of the time a reduction of discharge pressure is caused by a blockage somewhere.
Check the impeller closely for an obstruction in the vanes. Also check all the suctions for obstructions.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I only checked the impeller by feeling it through the filter basket opening. I was trying to avoid taking the pump apart, but I'll do that next. When you say to check the suctions, can I do anything more than just look at the suction cover at the bottom of the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.