Belldiver says hello!

Hi folks!

I'm hoping to be new to the pool world soon. I live in Lafayette, LA and work as a commercial diver in the Gulf of Mexico oilfields. I just bought a new house on 2 acres that is setup great for a backyard pool. It already has a 50' x 100' stocked pond. I've been doing my research and getting some estimates and stumbled across TFP. Looks like a great site! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for y'all.

I'm looking for about a 800 sq ft IG gunite pool and about 1000 sq ft of decking of some type. Not really interested in the attached spa. I'm undecided on some of the upgrades like pebble finishes and super fancy coping/tiles. I guess it just gets down to value. I'll be picking your brains for a while.

One of my big questions though...is maintenance...not that I'm afraid of work, I actually enjoy working around the house, but my work schedule takes me offshore for 3-4 weeks out of 6, particularly in the summer months. Will a pool survive with only weekly testing and maintenance? or is this a daily thing. I have some close friends actually eager to help out with keeping the water while I'm gone, but don't want to burden them heavily or completely rely on volunteers when I'm offshore. Will a pool service keep up with the needs of a new pool? I'd prefer to do it all myself, but it's just not always going to be possible. I'm sure I'll post some of these questions again in another area of the forum.

Anybody else here from Louisiana? I'm also looking for a good PB in the SW Louisiana area.

I'll be see'n ya!