CompuChlor Self Cleaning Cells system - Any good?

May 28, 2010
I'm getting a new pump, filter, and heater installed today and at the last moment (go figure) I'm thinking about adding an SWG. The dealer says they recommend Compu-chlor (by Compu Pool). He said they're cheap, self cleaning, and cheap and easily available parts. Does anyone know anything about these?

personally I always avoid items tagged as "cheap" but have no idea about the brand you mention. just make sure you interview some other owners, dealer should be able to give you a referral or two, ask them what issues they have had and what they would now purchase.

also deliberately purchase an oversize SWCG for your pool.

The compuChlor works. The price is reasonable. The controller may not have some of the advanced features found on other more expensive models, but it works.

These units have only been available here in the US for a couple of years, so information on how long they will last is not available. With a local warranty support, I believe it would be a reasonable choice.

Self cleaning in a SWCG means it has a reversing polarity circuit. About every 2 hours the controller will reverse the polarity of the plates within the cell. This helps to prevent build up of scale within the cell. You will still need to manually inspect the cell every 2 or 3 months and if it needs cleaning, the procedure is simple.

Yes, actually according to the dealer, it reverses polarity every 12 hours and he said that the 5 year warranty even covers the replacement of the cell within that period of time.

As for inspecting the cell, how exactly is this done and what should I be looking for?

> As for inspecting the cell, how exactly is this done and what should I be looking for?

if similar to an IntelliChlor IC40 Cell, it would be a matter of opening the union fittings in the 2 inch PVC line, removing the cell and visually inspecting it. if you review the appearance of the cell when new (before installation), in use it would/should appear similar and if it has any deposits, there should be a manufacturer recommended procedure to wash it.

5 year pro rata warranty on the cell is very good. They are expensive to replace. The cell on my Aquarite lasted 5 years ;-)

Here is a link to the owners manual.

http://www.compupool.com.au/pdf/CPSC%20 ... Manual.pdf

See page 6 for the cleaning procedure.

Simple and only takes a few minutes.

Proper water chemistry will help to prevent scaling (white particles) from building up inside the cell. This will keep your cell operating at peek efficiency.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.