Adding LP heater to existing Heat Pump???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2010
Hi
I have a large pool (80,000 gal) which is in a rental property, as a result the heaters (3 of them!) are off most of the time.
When we have a booking, say once a month, we fire up the heaters and it can take 3-4 days to get up to 85-88!!

If the air temp is low, or it rains we do not even achieve that!

Question: Could I add a LP heater to the row of heat pumps (should it go first or last??) to give that initial boost for heat then allow the HP to keep it there??
Perhaps let the gas heater kick in occasionally when needed??

Any thoughts!

Thanks!

I'd put the LP heater last. If you do that, you can let the heat pumps take care of most of the heating for the pool. That way, the LP heater is measuring the temp of the water heated by the heat pumps. For example, if your water temp is 85 degrees and your LP heater is set for 86, it wont kick on unless the heat pumps cant keep up.

FWIW, I'm going to add an LP heater in the spring. My heat pump is pretty useless April through mid may and late august through mid october. i know what you mean about the rain, too. Even if it's 65 degrees, if it's raining, all it does is spin the electric meter. i like my heat pump under certain conditions, but they do not do what the sales people say they will do outside of maybe florida or the deep south.

We have decided to move the discussion that previously followed in the deep end section of the forum, for purposes of not getting off topic. bk406's answer, sufficiently answers the OP's question. In net, yes a gas heater can be added to your system and although placement is not completely crucial, to be safe it should be plumbeb in parallel or if plumbing in series is your only option, the gas heater should be placed last in series.

The debate as to whether the heater can cause damage to heat pumps if placed first in series, can continue in the deep end topic here

Since the OP's question has been answered, this thread will continue to remain locked, as it has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.