NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE - I think my pump is dead

May 28, 2010
I've been away from home for about a week and returned to find my pump not working. I'm nearly certain it's dead as it's been quite noisy for a while and have been told by a couple of different pool companies that it seemed to be on the verge of 'dying'. It's probably just the motor however the pump is a Jacuzzi Magnum Force and I've been told that since it's not made anymore, that obtaining the necessary parts to switch out the motor would be challenging and that I'd be better off just replacing the entire unit (pump and motor).

So basically, I'm just looking for any recommendations for a complete pump replacement, including where I can find them at a good price.

My pool is an 11k gallon with an attached spa that overflows into the pool. The existing pump is a 1.5hp.

Thanks in advance!

Ok, So I've got a quote from a guy and I want to run it by you guys and see if I should go with it.

Hayward Max Flo 2 1.5hp $325 installed

Incidentally, he also mentioned that if I want/need a new filter, he would install a Hayward C1200 for $285

Bama Rambler said:
The pump price doesn't sound bad but I'd question why you need a new filter. Since he was just throwing the price out there as a matter of information then the call is up to you. A C1200 is a nice filter.

Thanks for your response about the price. Would you say this is a decent pump? I'm not just looking for something cheap, but something I wont regret buying later. I'd hate to buy something that is just mediocre if I only have to spend a little bit more for something better.

The filter was due to my inquiry. I asked him about it because my filter is also a Jacuzzi and was installed originally with the pool over 10 years ago. It's functional but it does have a small leak and the pressure gague is all rusted out. If I can replace it all and get a better deal on both units, then I might consider it.

I'm actually even considering adding a heater (which crazily, my spa has never had) if I can get an even better deal while he's at it. I'm going to make a different post about that though.

Thanks.

Excellent installed price on the pump. Price on the pump without install is about $300.
Parts are difficult to find for the Jacuzzi filters, and when you find them they are expensive.
The Hayward C2100 is a good quality cartridge filter with parts available at a reasonable price. $285 for the filter installed is a good price. :)
Here is some additional information about filters.
pool-school/pool_filter_comparison

Exchemist said:
I don't see a mention of the size of your filter. A 1.5 hp pump for an 11,000 gal pool seems way to big. For maximum efficiency, it's best to use an undersized pump and an oversized filter.

I'm not sure of the size of the existing filter but I've been told by a couple of different pool 'guys' that have seen my setup that 1.5hp is right for my pool because it also is for the spa as well. I've never found the force of the water coming out of the returns or the jets of the spa to be too strong, and the suction on my pool vac is just barely good enough - therefore, I don't think I'd like to go lower in hp than what I already have (which is 1.5).

To further confuse the issue, not all horse power is created equal. You also need to check the service factor of the old pump. This article explains it well. If your spa is not getting enough force from the current set up you can try changing out the eyes or getting a smaller pump just for the spa.
If your filter is on its last legs, then go ahead and replace it. Better to get all the plumbing done at once then have to go back in 6 months and redo it for a new filter. If you do get a cartridge filter, consider haveing them install a waste line. It shouldn't cost much more in materials and it can come in very handy incase you ever need to drain the pool or want to vacuum to waste. Be sure they install it so you can by pass the filter if you want to vacuum to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.