Question about moving pump/filter from current location

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
Hi all,

We had some serious rain about a week ago. Between the pool filling up to almost overflow and the deck drains under strain (backed up... I did say it was serious rain!), we were pretty swamped. We did not build the pool and we aren't really sure where all the drains drain out to including the overflow on the pool (we are on a septic system and look out to a meadow behind and we can't see where the water is going - not out to the street but no visible river of water out the back either) but we DO know that we have a plugged drain or now a damaged one, under our concrete deck where the pump and filter are located.

What happened is that the ground literally disappeared (sink hole) under one end of our concrete pad that holds the pump and filter, the slab was already cracked (thankfully I think) because the only part still level is holding our pump & filter. The rest is almost collapsed into this hole. We believe that it was caused from my dad cleaning our DE filter right there over the drain last summer and clogging it, and then the relentless rain we recently had had nowhere to go and could not drain fast enough. Needless to say, we are going to have to take up the slab and fix the drain in that area.

Since we have to do that, my DH asked if I could ask you all how close the pump and filter need to be to the pool. Is there an ideal distance? Currently the pump and filter (and housing) are blocking some of our "view" of the meadow (only about 5 feet from the pool but not sure why they picked that spot) and we would like to move them over - as long as we need to fix the drain, we thought maybe we could change the whole thing.

If photos would help, I can certainly show photos, although it's a little hard to get from the photos.

Thanks
Anne

Welcome to TFP!!

Moving the pump and filter pad means either adding more pipe or adding a few elbows (both of which will add to your 'total dynamic head [resistance] on the line and make it more work for the pump). [or might not, depending on where you move it :wink: ]

Ideal distance depends on the size of the pipes, how long the run is, elbows, and the specs for the pump and filter, *amongst other things.

We can certainly tell you HOW to do it, but you'll need the pro's here to tell you the optimal way to do it!

I hope you realize that this isn't a question that can be answered in one quick post :oops: You'll need to talk 'back and forth' with the experts here to get you to the best solution for your particular pool :)

I'll give you ALL the help I can! :-D

I'm just "down the hill" from you guys (in Escondido), so PM me if you would like my cell. It looks like you have a good quality pump (would be good to know the size), and if the equipment is as close to the pool as you say (5', although I would like to know if that is from the water or from the skimmer :-D ) then you should be fine in moving it (pipe size looks pretty good in the pic also).

I'm happy to answer any questions, if you guys wish. Just PM me and I will call you back as soon as I get it!

Thanks for the answers..

We have a Purex Triton Whisperflow 1.5 HP pump that sits about 5' from the skimmer (pool) currently. Ideally, we would like to move it 30 ft to the left. I've attached a photo from the house looking out at the current pump house (skimmer, only one, on that side of the pool). We would like to move it to the left about 30 ft (in the second photo, it would go near those cypress trees to get it out of our view).

The other things my husband has suggested is to leave the pump and filter in the same spot but move them down into a hole rather than above ground? Is that possible? Or he also wondered if there were smaller filters available. Not necessarily DE but any type.

Thanks
Anne

Putting it in a "hole" would make it difficult to work on and would require check valves so the water would not drain out of the pool when you cleaned the pump basket :shock: I would not suggest putting it in a hole!

Moving it should be fine. Try to minimize your 90's (like waste said) and stay with the same size pipe. A smaller filter will not clean as well, and will require more cleanings itself, so I would not try and "cheat" on that either. Bigger is definitely better in pool filters!

I see what you mean about the view! How well is the current set up working? If you do not get a lot of debris in the pool (blown leaves, dirt, ect) and you want a filter that is easier to care for, then a large sand filter may suit your needs. The larger the filter (any filter) the less often it will need cleaning.

As for moving the current equipment, you could use the existing plumbing to where it comes out of the ground and cut off the vertical portions. I think using a couple of 45 degree elbows instead of a 90 would put less strain on the pump, but the pool pros could give better advice on that aspect.

Have you considered moving the equipment pad next to the house? That may require adding a skimmer to that side of the pool which would be more expense and work, but would be a shorter plumbing run and easier to run electrical service to the pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.