Purple line in spa

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

Not really sure. Does the line wipe away easily or is it more of a stain? Do you have any test results?

Yes the line wipes easily. I have used test strips and liquid tests but results make no sense ---for example a test strip where chlorine should read from white to medium blue , turns virtually black and ph lo and alkalinity high.

Welcome to TFP!!

Can we get a full set of water test #s, please?

Where are you located? (there are bio-films that appear purple/pink in certain areas of the country)

The reason I ask for this is that your film wipes off easily, which leads me to think "bio-film"

Please answer my questions, so we can give a proper diagnosis :) (and it won't hurt to up your sanitizer in the meantime :wink: )

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

Can we get a full set of water test #s, please?

Where are you located? (there are bio-films that appear purple/pink in certain areas of the country)

The reason I ask for this is that your film wipes off easily, which leads me to think "bio-film"

Please answer my questions, so we can give a proper diagnosis :) (and it won't hurt to up your sanitizer in the meantime :wink: )

I live in Thousand Oaks CA about 40 miles northwest of Los Angeles
Sorry I felt out of control so I dumped the water and refilled. Dont think I could have given you good test results anyway especially for chlorine. Be it test strip or liquid test the color was so different that I dont know what number I could give you [test strip was virtually black where white thru light blue is expected]. ph seemed to be around 6.8 and alkalinity about 240 ppm.

Dumping the water was probably your best way to start over. Now that you have a fresh start, it would be best to invest in a good test kit such as the TF100 or Taylor K2006, otherwise you'll get frustrated again down the road and not be able to confirm whether the water you are soaking in is safe :shock: . The key to pool/spa water maintenance is having a handle on your water chemistry and you can't do that with strips. Take a chance to check out pool school...button on upper right of the page :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
Dumping the water was probably your best way to start over. Now that you have a fresh start, it would be best to invest in a good test kit such as the TF100 or Taylor K2006, otherwise you'll get frustrated again down the road and not be able to confirm whether the water you are soaking in is safe :shock: . The key to pool/spa water maintenance is having a handle on your water chemistry and you can't do that with strips. Take a chance to check out pool school...button on upper right of the page :goodjob:

Thank you I will do that including getting a Taylor test kit, but "ouch" on the price, also I realize that this is a good, responsive site and I need to load data on my spa if i want meaningful responses

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.