Intelliflo versus ?? - running 24 hours a day

ewsb

May 26, 2007
Northern VA
Pool Size
I am looking to run my new gunite (30 x 15) pool throughout the upcoming winter season. Due to freezing (northern VA) I am planning to run the pump fulltime once the temp drops below 35 - (I have the Intellitouch 10i system + Autopilot - so the intellitouch will address the activation below 35). However, so as to keep cost down I am looking to use an intelliflo pump set at a 1 turn per day (ie the flow will be very slow) to keep the heaters (I have a heat pump for >35 and a gas heater for below that) operating.

Any thoughts as to whether the intelliflo is the best unit for this.

Many thanks

One turn a day running 24 hours a day is somewhere around 7 GPM. The Intelliflo is not as efficent at very low speeds, compared to higher speeds. I'm not sure but I suspect that a smaller two speed pump on low speed might be more efficient.

Keep in mind that in Northern VA there will be significant risk of damage if you use that strategy and there is an all night power failure during the winter.

Also, most heaters have a minimum flow rate around 15 to 20 GPM.

why do you need two heaters, is this an indoor pool, and your equipment is out door, do you plan on swimming when it gets cold, to me it is just easier to close it properly and forget it.

Thanks Jason

Thanks Jason - that was my concern on efficiency - we are having it linked to permanent backup power - any recommendation on a smaller pump (very quiet)

Rollin Thunder - yes - we are planning to use it as we also have the riverflow system - pool flows at 12 miles an hour for exercising - we are looking at some of the Canadian bubbles as it is outdoors with an automatic pool cover.

Re: Thanks Jason

ewsb said:
Thanks Jason - that was my concern on efficiency - we are having it linked to permanent backup power - any recommendation on a smaller pump (very quiet)

Rollin Thunder - yes - we are planning to use it as we also have the riverflow system - pool flows at 12 miles an hour for exercising - we are looking at some of the Canadian bubbles as it is outdoors with an automatic pool cover.

wow the river flow thing is really cool, also i am looking at those bubbles, if you do decide to get on tell me how it works

Riverflow & Pump recommendation

We have the Riverflow system installed - it is great for swimming. Powerful and quiet. We have a problem with the flow not staying in a perfectly straight path - slides a few degrees to the right and the manufacturer is looking at that.

Re a high efficiency low flow pump for the pool - any suggestions. (To run it 24 hours a day at 7 to 10 GPM)

Thanks

Sean

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.