Safety cover repair (solid. Brand Anchor)

LeeM2

Jul 3, 2010
I have some cuts on my cover, made by contractors who were doing the siding work on my house. The cuts are not above the pool opening, so the water won't get into my pool through them. I know there are self-adhere patches out there, but will they really work? and if so, which ones would you recommend? I saw some 3M ones (300 LES or something) about 10x10 for ~$50. I'm sure there are better prices can be found, but I just want to know if these patches is the way to go or if I'd better of with professional repair. I still owe money to the contractor, so he'll end up paying for the repair, but I want it to be reasonable and fair. If you think the patches will work, can you point which ones I should go for and where I should get them?

Also, when its below freezing the edges of my pool (under the cover) get icy and the wind puts too much pressure on my cover pushing it up and down a lot rubbing my cover against sharp icy edges. The cover is about 5 years old and someone told me that it should last about 10-12 years, but I feel like I need to do some maintenance on it to make it last that long. Is there a long roll of self-adhere tape that I should apply on the inside of my pool cover where it rubs against the icy edges of my pool?

Also, should I do something about this crazy wind I get? Like some wind barrier around the pool cover or some weight like water bags on the edges of the pool cover?

P.S. I do have automatic pool pump, but I decided to keep it inside when it's not needed and the temperature outside is below freezing. Plus, the automatic portion of it is unreliable, it switches on when the water on my pool cover is over 3" (used to be over 4", but I blew the air tub with the air pressure cans, so now it starts pumping when the water level is about 3.25".

I uploaded the 3rd picture with the ruler, which indicates how far these cuts from the edges. the cuts are about 16" from the edge of the pool. do I need to take care of it now or can it wait until summer? The wind is very strong and I don't know if it can get worse if I wait until summer. If it has to be done now, I'd rather have someone else do it and have contractor pay for it. Any advise who I can hire here in Philly area and how much it'll cost? Thanks!

Attachments

• cuts.jpg
    cuts.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC04958.JPG
    DSC04958.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 118
  • cuts2.jpg
    cuts2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 108
PoolGuyNJ said:
The self stick solid patches work well. Cut them in circles, about 3" larger than the cuts. Clean & dry the surface and warm it with a hair dryer. Try to put the patch material on both sides.

Scott

I was thinking of waiting till summer. Are you saying I have to do it now or it'll get worse? I uploaded 3rd picture (with the ruler), please take a look

The holes will definitely get worse and wind will contribute to the speed of worsening. It looks like a pretty heavy cover, so patching would probably work. I'd see if there is some way of "sewing" a loop tight on either end of the cut to reduce stress on the end of the cut where it will want to tear further. If your cover is 5 years old, you might check the price of a new cover & get the contractor to split it with you - to be reasonable. Depending on the price, he may just pay for the whole thing, but get a firm price so you'll know.

Ranger987 said:
The holes will definitely get worse and wind will contribute to the speed of worsening. It looks like a pretty heavy cover, so patching would probably work. I'd see if there is some way of "sewing" a loop tight on either end of the cut to reduce stress on the end of the cut where it will want to tear further. If your cover is 5 years old, you might check the price of a new cover & get the contractor to split it with you - to be reasonable. Depending on the price, he may just pay for the whole thing, but get a firm price so you'll know.

According to a couple of people I spoke to this cover is anywhere between $1500-2500, depending on exact size and shape. Also someone told me pool covers went up in price recently, not sure why that is. To fix it professionally by sending it to some facility can cost up to $800.
Contractors will fight with me I'm sure. They've been fighting from the very beginning saying these are old cuts and that they have nothing to do with these cuts. But I know these are not old cuts and the irony is - I told their manager like 3-4 times to ask them to stay away from the pool cover and to throw old siding to the other side of the house. I tried telling them, but I'm not sure they understood me because they only know half a dozen words in English. The cuts look very similar and I think a small sharp piece of vinyl siding was siting on the cover or on one of the contractor's shoe when one of contractors stepped on the cover.

The contractor will be back working on my stucco when the temperature gets above 40. I put some duct tape on both sides for now, but then when he is done with his work and when he will come for the last payment I'll bring this up again. He'll either have to patch it himself and add this item to his warranty list or pay for the repair. I just don't know if I should bring it up again now because I really want them to finish the work first.

Don't expect the duct tape to hold for long. Even Gorilla tape lets go in the weather.

I don't see a need to replace the cover. I don't think the OP does either. The self stick patches will provide a durable and long lasting solution. I don't know of any that come in tan, usually they are green or blue. I have seen tan colored duct tape which can help hide the patch from being too much of a sore thumb.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.