Skimmer gasket leaking?

numberonenole

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
Woods of North Florida
Our pool is only one and a half years old. Recently we have been losing water quickly. It stops at the same part of the skimmer. The dirt off to one side of the skimmer (an area about six feet wide) is wet. I don't see anything leaking. Nothing is wet but the dirt. I did the bucket test and a 1/4 inch difference the first day, but it was the same the second day so I think we found our low point (right above the second screw from the bottom).

I've been told by a friend that it could be the skimmer gasket and the water is leaking between the wall and the liner. That makes sense, but it seems like our pool is too new to have that sort of problem. He also said that he would pay someone to fix it because it would be hard to keep the liner and everything in place while trying to put in a new gasket.

I, of course, have come to the experts! Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

numberonenole said:
Thanks for your reply! Which warranty should I check? The place where I bought the pool or the pool installer?

I would check with the installer first.

I don't have an AGP and therefore, I'm not really in the know as far as what the industry standard typically would be for a warranty on something like that. I'd like to see what others say who know more.

Well, I thought maybe the leak was gone but it appears the pool was just as stiff and cold from this brutal winter that we have had (no offense to the northerners) as I have been. It seems that now that the weather has warmed up, my leak has returned. At least now I can now see water leaking down from the return line.

So...leak at return. Should the installer cover that? Pool installed April 2009 so almost two years old. I'd love some opinions before I make the phone call. Thanks!

Is it at the pool wall/return fitting or somewhere in the plumbing? If the return fitting, it may just need a 1/8th turn of the nut outside the wall to tighten down the gasket :goodjob: Been there and done that on our 2yr old pool. Also with the skimmer, you can use a large philps screwdriver to ensure the screws are tight and have not loosened since install.

Thanks for your reply! It is at the pool wall part of the return. Since I read your response I have stared at the nut, then stared at the tools in our garage, then stared at the nut, then back to the garage, then sleep. Repeated pattern the next day. I seriously am clueless how to turn the nut! Does it take a special tool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, we borrowed a channel lock wrench and my husband went out to turn the pipe. He came back in and informed me that the little leak was now a BIG leak. We called the pool guy and he came out and replaced the return fitting. He said he has seen a few of them split this year. He seemed to think that the wind chill may have made them brittle.

I thought that had solved our problem, but we have still lost more water than I had expected since then. Especially since there is no one actually swimming. So the next question is...

Is there more evaporation when there is a wide temperature range? We have been 40 at night then 80 during the day.

Thanks as always for your help!

You can do a bucket test to see if the loss is evaporation or leaking. Take a bucket and fill it about halfway with water and mark the waterline on the inside of the bucket with a sharpie. Place the bucket on the steps or ladder and mark the water level on the outside of the bucket. Let it sit undisturbed at least 24 hours, then mark the current water levels on the inside and outside of the bucket. The water drop should be similar on the inside and outside of the bucket if it is evaporation. If there is a leak the difference on the outside of the bucket will be greater.

Also make sure your waste port doesn't have a small leak.

Thanks for the replies!

I did the bucket test just to be sure, but there is no doubt there is a leak someone else. Bucket test just confirmed how bad it it! 3/4 inch lost overnight. So I had the hubby come out and work the logistics for me on where it could possible be leaking and he found a pretty big tear in the liner. A flap of liner the size of a nickel unattached directly under the return. The same return the builder came and put a new piece of pipe on. Which also seems to still have a small leak, but very small. I would probably ignore it if he hadn't charged me $100 to replace it and now we have a big hole in the liner right where he was working.

I guess I will call the guy and tell him we still have a little leak where he was working. Then mention that we will also need a patch at the hole below. Maybe he will patch it for free, but that may be wishful thinking on my part. There is really no way of knowing if he caused it, anyway.

Thanks again for all your help!

There's a chance the tear came when he changed out the return. However, I just don't know.

To repair the liner there wouldn't be overly difficult- I'd cut a patch that is round and would cover the return cut out + the area that has the tear + ~1/2 - 3/4". It would be a simple matter to apply the patch without loosing much water. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.