Help me choose a pump please...

Oct 30, 2010
Highland, MI
See my thread here for more details... please-critique-our-igp-build-plan-t28102.html
I'm basically lost on which type of pump to get now as soon as I decided to add a bunch of solar panels on my garage.

Here are the basic details:
- Yard is flat.
- Pool is 16x36 kidney sport pool about 18K gallons
- All other equiptment is Hayward so I would like to stick with a Hayward pump. Builder also is most comfortable with these.
- 4 returns, 2 deck jets, 2 main drains, and one skimmer. 2" PVC, all seperate runs except deck jets (split).
- Solar panels - 360 sq ft, Enersol model S-1000. The top of the panels will be about 25ft above the pump on the ground.

I started with a 2 speed 1.5hp Super Pump then bumped to a Northstar 2hp, now I'm thinking variable? The question really is what gpm do the solar panels work best at? Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Are you talking about the single or dual speed? In my original post the following issues came up with using a 2 speed:

1) Solar panels first need to be primed on high speed... then I would like to switch to low speed to save money. The PS/8 automation we are getting cannot control this, it will keep the pump on high.
2) If I had a way to keep the pump on low... The vacuum release valve will need to be moved from the traditional location at the top of the panels to 6-8 ft higher to prevent from opening on the low speed. If it opens, any 2 speed will be dead headed.

Sounds like my options are 1 speed or variable speed.

Mike

PoolGuyNJ said:
The 1-1/2 Super Pump should have been fine.

I personally hate North Star's design. As a pro, they are a royal PITA to work on.

Scott

Even 1.5 hp is too much, especially if there are no water features/spa. I wouldn't get hung up on brand. Pentair/Hayward/Jandy are all compatabile with each other. I know you can sometimes get a warranty deal if you stick with one manufacturer, but if you need a pump, such as the intelliflo, to fit a specific need, there is nothing wrong with mix & match.

Again, I think you're biggest issue is pushing water and priming the panels, up 25ft. There are folks on the forum who are getting that done today with the equivalent of a single speed 3/4 or 1hp full rated pump (eg hayward superpump or pentair superflo). You're other option is the VS pumps, which so far I have seen nothing but positive reviews of the pentair intelliflo series.

If you're power rates are not that bad, just go for the 3/4 or 1hp single speed (Mas985 may be able to confirm which one could work)

or the intelliflo....all depends on your budget. The two-speed as Mas985 mentioned is likely not a easily configured option given your planned install.

Here is a write up that may help you understand the situation you are in better :goodjob:

http://h2otsun.com/pools/index.html

Hayward also makes the Ecostar, a very good variable speed pump (VSP) which in this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/viron-p300-pump-versus-intelliflo-epump-t27911.html showed it to be a little more efficient than some others on the market. I know Intelliflow has been out longer, but the Ecostar has a few features that offer more convenience & is based on the Tristar design which is more efficient than the 25 year old Whisperflow design used in the Intelliflow. The Hayward pump would allow you to keep the pump under your extended Hayward warranty as well.

The Variable speed pumps get great publicity, but unless you feel you'll have a need for 4 or 8 different speeds, the 2 speed pump is a great option and saves you a bunch of money up front. Often, after installing a VSP, the pool owner ends up only using high speed for the water features & a low speed for circulation - rendering the other 2/6 speeds irrelevant. So, depending on your goal, you might save 400-500 bucks & just go with a 2 speed.

Ranger, good suggestion on the hayward VSP but did you read the OP's other thread as he mentions above? I don't think a 2 speed is a good option given he is trying to set-up solar, therefore won't get much benefit out of the low speed option unless he spends a lot more $ on a controller to switch between high and low speed.

Understand, but solar is only a factor for a few months each year. In the dead of winter, he's likely draining the solar and in summer he may not use it, in which case low speed circulation will be most efficient. High speed will still be available for the months when he does use solar. In any case, my intent was not to tell him that's the best option, but rather to give him an option which might work better for him - his choice. A 2 speed timeclock allows timer settings for high and low speed - no controller needed.

Gotcha...perhaps a 1hp 2sp to have the available low speed option? The OP is in Michigan which may be slightly colder climate than here in Southern NY. For me, solar is useful the entire season, especially during the milder summer months. There were days last summer where our neighbors water was in the low 70's (nice for me but not DW) and ours was nicely in the low 80's. I just don't know that they would have much use for the low speed option for more than a month or two of what could be a 5-6 month season with solar, unless they can prime on high, then switch to low while running the panels, but I guess it would be nice to have the option.

IMO, I'd still either go as low HP single speed as the set-up warrants or a VSP, but you know how opinons go :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ranger987 said:
Opinions...yes, I have two of them - my wife & my daughter. I think I used to have one of my own...can't quite remember. :?

Ditto :mrgreen: Hence why I'm required to run solar mid-summer :scratch: and keep the water in the refreshing mid to upper 80's :hammer: Oh well, as the saying goes, can't beat 'em, pass the beer nuts :cheers:

I posted this in my other thread but I figure it is better suited here:

So as I understand it here are our options:

1) Single speed - I would want this as low hp as possible to run everything all the time for maybe 8 hours a day. Thinking 1hp. Solar would be good but skimming, vacuuming, and pump operating cost would be highest. Initial cost would be lowest though.

2) Dual speed - With solar, I think the low speed option would rarely be used as we plan to use solar a lot. Perhaps only in May or October we would have the solar off and be using the low speed for filtering and turnover. Hopefully this low speed could feed the heater enough to run as well. This seems like a dead end especially with the PS-8 control issues.

3) VSP - This seems like it would solve all issues when done correctly. Never owning a pool before and based on reading on the internet only, we could have at least 5 speeds programed. This scenario is just a guess. See below. Let me know if this is realistic.

1) May and October, Speed 1 - Lowest speed to keep gas heater and filter operating when wanting to heat the pool.
2) May and October, Speed 2 - Lowest speed to keep the filter operating and to turnover the pool the required amount
3) All Year, Speed 3 - High speed for vacuuming and skimming a few hours a day as needed.
4) June - September, Speed 4 - Medium speed to keep the solar system operating at 36gpm and filter. Revert to speed 2 the rest of the day.
5) June - September, Speed 5 - Pump solar priming speed.

Here is some more info... local electricty rates are about $.13 per kwh. Don't know if this is high or low compared to the rest of the US. It also appears we are only talking about a $300 difference. Our builder planned for a 2-speed Northstar or Tristar and it is in my base price.

The single speed Superpumps are around $300 with the bigger 2 speeds around $600 while the ecostar can be had for about $900. When will the ecostar pay for itself?

For a difference of only $300, it is a no brainer in my mind. Go for the variable, it will pay for itself over the life of the pump, plus convienence is a big plus. Just compare that $300 to what you are spending on the pool. It's nothing.

I agree, $300 is nothing when we will have 50K into our backyard in one summer. Thanks again.

mas985 said:
For a difference of only $300, it is a no brainer in my mind. Go for the variable, it will pay for itself over the life of the pump, plus convienence is a big plus. Just compare that $300 to what you are spending on the pool. It's nothing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.