underconstruction spool, help with plaster, decking....

MINA

Dec 15, 2010
Spool under construction. needs help with Plaster,decking...

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new for all of that & I would really appreciate any help, advice or opinions.

I started my spool construction 2 weeks ago, it's a 18" raised freeform gunite build 17'length x 10'wide & 4-4.5' deep with artificial rocky waterfalls, grotto, 8 jets distributed 26" apart at different height levels from the seating deck that's located on one side only of the spa. Please check attached plan.
The equipment to be installed is:
Pentair "Master Temp" heater(400,000 btu)
Pentair "Intelliflo" variable speed pump.(circulation/jets)
Pentair "Whisperflo" 1 1/2 horse power pump (waterfall)
Pentair Cartridge filter
Pentair salt system
Pentair color light.
Intermatic time clock.

I'm still confused about a lot of remaining details, like the plaster finish, tile to be used, decking around...
We are using the dark brown color for the rocks, three river flagstone coping & veneer stone for the outer side.
Is it ok to use a French gray plaster for this kind of spa? We are interested in dark/medium blue colors & at the same time I'm afraid the steps in gray will look so dark/cheap or may be the spool is too small to reflect this kind of dark plaster

I took care of the design & equipment but have no idea on how to finish the inside of the spa & the decking around to get the look we dream of (like a natural lake with little waterfall)

I will be posting Photos of how we are progressing with our project & wait for your opinions & suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
[attachment=0:3ti9ifid]spool graph.jpg[/attachment:3ti9ifid]

Attachments

• spool graph.jpg
    spool graph.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 789
Hi everyone,

I'm totally new for all of that & I would really appreciate any help, advice or opinions.

I started my spool construction 2 weeks ago, it's a 18" raised freeform gunite build 17'length x 10'wide & 4-4.5' deep with artificial rocky waterfalls, grotto, 8 jets distributed 26" apart at different height levels from the seating deck that's located on one side only of the spa. Please check attached plan.
The equipment to be installed is:
Pentair "Master Temp" heater(400,000 btu)
Pentair "Intelliflo" variable speed pump.(circulation/jets)
Pentair "Whisperflo" 1 1/2 horse power pump (waterfall)
Pentair Cartridge filter
Pentair salt system
Pentair color light.
Intermatic time clock.

I'm still confused about a lot of remaining details, like the plaster finish, tile to be used, decking around...
We are using the dark brown color for the rocks, three river flagstone coping & veneer stone for the outer side.
Is it ok to use a French gray plaster for this kind of spa? We are interested in dark/medium blue colors & at the same time I'm afraid the steps in gray will look so dark/cheap or may be the spool is too small to reflect this kind of dark plaster

I took care of the design & equipment but have no idea on how to finish the inside of the spa & the decking around to get the look we dream of (like a natural lake with little waterfall)

I will be posting Photos of how we are progressing with our project & wait for your opinions & suggestions.

Thanks in advance

[attachment=0:2eqfw9zn]pool plan.jpg[/attachment:2eqfw9zn]

Attachments

• pool plan.jpg
    pool plan.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 764
Mina...welcome to TFP :wave: This is a slow time of year on the forum, but fear not, someone with pool building knowledge will be along shortly to provide you with guidance and opinions. I have merged you're 2 posts as we do not allow double posts on the forum. It's not that one area receives more attention than the other, it's just slow in the pool/spa building arena for most of the US. :goodjob:

The color of the interior surface is mainly a matter of personal preference. The basic design seems to indicate your preference for a "natural lagoon" look. In my opinion, the grey/blue surfaces should tend to be background colors, allowing the eye to be drawn to the surrounding water features and landscaping, rather than the interior of the pool. One of the "pebble" surfaces inside might tend to blend it a bit better with the surrounding dark brown stone, but they cost more too. You also have the option of using flagstone to cap the steps, so it will pull the color of the stone down into the pool. If you choose to do this, have them make the steps shorter, then add 1.5"-2" of flagstone to make the steps' height meet code.

Tile choices are personal preference as well. Based on your description, my preference would be a tile that matches the flagstone with other colors like blue/rust/green to blend with other colors out of the surrounding area, but you can look thru tile catalogs from many tile supply companies & find the one that you like best.

Thanks Ranger,
I'm actually using the flagstone for the outer steps & the coping, the steps inside!!! I'm just afraid that flag stone inside the water will be high risk to get the rust problem & mess with the full thing.

I'm posting here some photos of what we reached so far.
It's a lot of mess after the rain, they have to cover it as it started to rain right after the gunite was done. the cover ended down in the spool with a lot of rain

The photos will cover/show the following points

- the left side (seating & jets)
-the 3rd step added at the final stages (was not Planed)
- the grotto & the water fall to be
- we will try to match the veneer stone in the fire place for the spool outer wall
- we will try to match the same stamped concrete in the patio area for the whole backyard
- equibment behind & under the waterfall rocks

Attachments

• photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 728
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    436.8 KB · Views: 727
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    448.3 KB · Views: 726
I think it's leaking, The water level after the rain was just a little above the seat now it's 3" below,
I just have the gunite, Is there a sealing material that they will apply later to prevent leakage????
Is that the Pool finishing/ Plaster????

Mina I posted a comment in your other pool forum. Trust me you will be very happy with the size of your pool. We at one point thought our spool was too small however as it turned out it is plenty big enough for all to enjoy. Besides you will find that smallers pools cost less to maintain, clean and cover if using a solar cover, and also will heat and cool much quicker in the winter and summer :goodjob: Keep the pics coming :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Brentr for the postive reply,

I just hope no more problems to come, I'm trying to be flexible with a lot of errors but this width thing is what ****** me off.

Any way, I had a meeting today with my PB, we are going to resume work today, we are doing the rocks for the water fall/grotto & the steps up to the spool.

I will post photos soon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nothing much, the Rock guy is here working with the waterfall, rocks & some water proof material.

I Still have the feeling these rocks are really big for the spool size :hammer: , the rock guy said: wait till the steps are done & the flag stone is added
The left rock is open, ready with water supply & drainage pipe to have a planter inside the rock

Attachments

• rocks1.JPG
    rocks1.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 619
  • rocks2.JPG
    rocks2.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 617
Some more done, I really liked the rocks now, I think they will start coloring it (brown, volcano red...) today or tomorrow.
Three river flag stone cut & ready for coping...
Give me your opinion, any ideas or comments are welcome.
Thanks & best regards,

Attachments

• photo8.JPG
    photo8.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 582
  • photo7.JPG
    photo7.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 580
  • photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 580
Wow Brentr,

You gained a lot of experience with your pool & you made a lot of friends here as well, Thanks for the advice.
for sure I will consider the intellibrite lights, I'm sure it will be great on the waterfalls & the grotto

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.