Stenner acid / chlorine feeder for neighbohood pool

May 28, 2010
I've recently been appointed to the HOA of my neighborhood. I don't really know anything about commercial / community pool maintenance but an issue that has come up is the use of these chemical feeders for our community pool. Apparently, the pool has one for chlorine and one for acid. They are Stenner model #85MHP17. Both of the units that were installed approximately a year and a half ago have failed and need to be replaced (at a cost of about $400 each).

My first question is if this is normal for these things to fail after such little time? Our community uses a pool service / maintenance company and what they said is that this is normal for this type of pool equipment. Since I have only been on the HOA board a short time, I don't really know the history of replacement of these things beyond the last replacement 18 months ago.

The heads of those pumps are easily replaced but unless the pump tubes are allowed to rupture they last a very long time if properly cared for. The pump tubes should be replaced about once a year especially in a commercial application. If they burst the roller end should be cleaned and deconned as soon as possible.

Needing to replace the tubing inside the pump head is common enough. They can also be a little "fiddly" now and then, requiring some minor adjustment or another. But a failure requiring a complete replacement is extremely unusual.

from reading previous forum notes, Seko may be an alternative for you although I could not get anyone to reply to multiple emails and ended up buying my acid pump from Italy (they shipped inside 7 days from Italy to USA, no trouble with customs).

Another cheaper option might be a Mec-o-Matic pump. Their tubes are a breeze to replace and a lot cheaper.

I've bought them from a place called Novatech in the past but, I have no affiliation with them.

> Another cheaper option might be a Mec-o-Matic pump.

took a look at their lineup, could not figure out which one measures pH and then based on programmable parameters, runs the pump until precise target has been reached, similar to the Simpool PH (cost ~ $200)

niceguymr said:
My first question is if this is normal for these things to fail after such little time? .

I'd like to know what "failed" means.

I have seen 20 year old peri pumps out there. They typically don't have to work that hard.

I would suggest new tubes yearly as stated above (especially for chlorine) but a head every 4-5 years is normal, but 18 months and having the entire unit need to be replaced is too soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.