Closing an in ground pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dier74 said:
I have a mesh safty cover. Should I bring the water back up to swimming level when I'm done with blowing out the lines?

I am not sure where you actually have the water level but I take mine down below the skimmer and return lines. This is about 18" from the pool deck which is what is recommended by the mesh cover manufacturer (loop loc). I leave it there and by early spring I have to lower it again to a little below swimming level and then by opening it's up to or above swimming level.

I live in Jackson, Mississippi- winter probably like Atlanta- and plan not to close but to just make sure the filter and pump area is covered and warm, check the chemicals, and run the pump continuously when cold weather is forecast. I also plan to use a solar cover to try to lower chlorine loss, keep the pool cleaner, and open sooner in the spring. My question is should the pump also be run a minimum amount, like 2 to 4 hours per day to keep down algae or for any other reason? We are new to this area and I don't know how low the pool temperature will go. Now (Oct.24) it is 69 degrees. Locals tell me they never have a hard freeze. This thread has a discussion by others in warm climates that do not close their pools. Is the cover a bad idea? Appreciate any ideas on whether this type of (non) closing makes any sense or ways to improve on it.

Yes, run the pump for 2 hours if it's at high speed, 4 hours if at low speed -- or figure 1/4th of a turnover per day. If possible, split this into two or more periods of run time over the 24 hours. Not super critical, but it helps prevent dead spots.

Thanks, Richard. I am also considering keeping the pump running during the winter. I live in Italy and am not concerned about the pool freezing nor freezing temps in pump room. I have a peristaltic pump which dispenses chlorine. My pool is covered with a winter cover. My question is: should I keep a residual chlorine level? if so, how much?

It is very easy to keep a little chlorine pumped in if I were to set the pump to run twice a day for 2 hours each time. Generally -as you have so often mentioned- my chlorine level is zero when pool is opened in June. But water is clear. So, keeping a low level of chlorine throughout the winter doesn't seem necessary but cannot hurt, I imagine

Your thoughts? Thanks

You would maintain the normal FC level for your CYA level. It just drops more slowly so is easier to maintain. Not having any algae on opening without having any chlorine is lucky. Algae still grows in cold water (even under ice) -- it just does so more slowly. I've maintained normal chlorine levels and a minimal pump run time over the winter in the past where the water gets to 50ºF or 45ºF at the lowest.

Thanks, Richard. I guess I am lucky in finding no algae on pool opening. Certainly water temps sometimes are above 60 degrees before opening, and I have read your posts, or others', stating that this is one key in not starting algae growth. I DO use Polyquat on closing so perhaps that is a reason. In any case, I think I will run the pump a few hours/day this winter, and maintain approx 3ppm chlorine for a CYA of 40.

Do you always keep your pump running in winter or only occasionally?

It's probably the Polyquat that helped in your case. I keep the pump running all winter, but at a low rate. Since I have a variable-speed (flow) pump, I run it in its efficiency sweet spot range for only a few hours each day so it's negligible in cost. We don't get hard freezes since we don't get freezing temperatures except perhaps during one or two overnights a season so if there is any concern the pump can be run overnight.

It's really up to you and if you prefer to close your pool you can certainly do so. There's effort either way -- just batched up on closing and opening vs. spread out for chlorine maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.