Spa/Pool circulation question

Aug 2, 2010
Sarasota, FL
I have 1 pump which runs my pool and the spa. If I turn the spa on the valves switch to run the spa. I also have a water fall and fountain in the spa. If I turn the spa off the water fall spills over into the pool. What if I shut off both the water fall and water fountain will the water in the spa not be circulated though the pool?

It depends on how your pool is plumbed. Although it's not indicated in your signature, it sounds like you have an automation system (Compool?) that switches the valves from POOL mode to SPA mode? Typically, when in POOL mode, 100% of your water is drawn from the pool, then most returns to the pool, but some returns to the spa to keep it filling & overflowing into the pool to keep the spa sanitized & filtered. This may be done by adjusting the valve actuator "stops" or perhaps by a bypass line or return line into the spa. You may have manual valves for both the waterfall and fountain which, if turned off, may stop all water flow into the spa. If you turn off the waterfall and fountain and the spa stops overflowing, then you'll have your answer. Just make sure that you make sure that you have at least one return line open at all times when the pump is running. There are many possible variations to this, but this is best guess with the information you've provided.

Ranger987 said:
It depends on how your pool is plumbed. Although it's not indicated in your signature, it sounds like you have an automation system (Compool?) that switches the valves from POOL mode to SPA mode? Typically, when in POOL mode, 100% of your water is drawn from the pool, then most returns to the pool, but some returns to the spa to keep it filling & overflowing into the pool to keep the spa sanitized & filtered. This may be done by adjusting the valve actuator "stops" or perhaps by a bypass line or return line into the spa. You may have manual valves for both the waterfall and fountain which, if turned off, may stop all water flow into the spa. If you turn off the waterfall and fountain and the spa stops overflowing, then you'll have your answer. Just make sure that you make sure that you have at least one return line open at all times when the pump is running. There are many possible variations to this, but this is best guess with the information you've provided.

Thanks for the response! Yes, I have a compool and the valves open/close automatically. I have manual valves on the waterfall and fountain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.