Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will Pool Water Hurt My Lawn?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will Pool Water Hurt My Lawn?

We are in the middle of a drought here. I have ~3000 gallons in my pool and rather than waste it when I drain the pool for winter storage, will it hurt the lawn if I pump it out and put it on the shrubs? They badly need a good watering. Do I need to let the chlorine levels drop to nil before I do this?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2
    You can go ahead and use the pool water as is. Lawns and most plants love pool water. There are a few very sensitive plants that might not like pool water, but if you are growing any of those you will already know about the special attention and care they require.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    The low levels of chlorine won't be a problem. But I wouldn't want to chance letting the water from a salt pool drain into the lawn. Maybe some salt owners could shed some light on this for us???

thanks,
    dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

It is not a salt pool and my rhodendrons thank you.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer