Intelliflo and Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch -- incompatible?

My utility is giving a $400 rebate on variable speed pumps.

1)Besides the upfront expense I have concerns about being able to control the Intelliflo -- my understanding is that one cannot interface intelliflo with Jandy Aqualink, but must have an intellicom.

2)I understand the Intelliflo VF has a built-in timer and is autonomous? On the other hand, the VS model would require some type of external controller, correct? So it would be better for me to purchase a VF intelliflo IF I don't already have a Pentair control system, eg intellicom?

3)Currently I run a 2 HP pump, 1.1 SF on 230 volts. The amps listed are 10.4 and the Kwh was 1.6. With an 8 hr run time in the summer, 2 hr in the winter and tapering in between, I calculated my annual electricity bill at around $649. My electric, including taxes is about 15 cents/kwh.

4)Are there an estimates out there on how much I could potentially save per hour of operation? Most of the examples I've seen on the Pentair website seem to assume we run the pumps x hours year-round which is not realistic. A much more useful number would be savings per hour of operation. Perhaps somebody could help me with the math here as I'm pretty new to this.

mcoccia, I'm looking to avoid any extraneous cost for new electronics if possible, ie, not really looking to upgrade the Jandy Aqualink RS onetouch. When it comes to electronics I'm a keep it simple stupid kind of guy. I am possibly interested in the intelliflo VF as I am under the impression one can set it and forget it without needing an external controller and I have calculated (very roughly) it would pay for itself within 4-5 years. My other concern is the longevity of the electronics in the intense heat we have here. I'm not sure the intelliflos have been around all that long so long term reliablity is a question mark. It could be the Toyota Camry/Lexus ES300 of the pool pump industry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.