tiles on a fiberglass pool

May 1, 2007
Still waiting for my Pb to come back and install the tile on my viking inground. Had a salesman here today for cover estimate and said he's never seen a fiberglass pool that the tiles did not come off of. Anyone have any experience with this??

when they tile a fibreglas pool, they use an epoxy thinset instead of the traditional thinset. It allows for a little flex and, done by good installers familiar with epoxy, results in a fine job.

It's, IMHO, quite a bit more difficult than traditional masonry thinset but the results should be just as good. Done poorly (or if you mistakinly use the wrong material) they will come off.

I'm in Central Texas....I talked to 3 different pool companies who would NOT put tiles on my inground fiberglass pool....they all said tiles tend to fall off no matter what materials are used and they didn't want to be sued....evidently one pool guy had been sued.....he had to be called back to the pool time after time....finally the pool owner sued him....all 3 also told me it is very expensive....I found companies online where we could purchase the tiles and adhesive and do it ourselves, but decided not to do it...

It's a reasonably common practice here in my area so I assume these local PB's have had reasonable success. A neighbor had his done three years ago and it's still intact.

I would NOT suggest it as a DIY project. The epoxy is pretty messy to work with and the possibility of a sloppy or unsuccessful DIY job is pretty high. It's not rocket science but I would be reluctant to attempt it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.