what's considered "Low Temperature" for a pump?

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
we've got temps down to 4 C tonight and am still running pump 24/7, while it will climb back up to 21 C during the day.

is there a back-of-the-envelope-calculation limit for temperature to stop running pump ?

perhaps at 0 C ?

it was more of an inquiry in case there are suggested limits on equipment or pvc due to low air temperatures.

in the case of engines and motors of any type I've worked on, had to pay attention to increased wear at startup due to cold seals, pistons, shafts, valves etc.

if there are no such cautions and any type of pool equipment can be run no matter the outdoor temps (...was not referring to water temp..), ok, will continue to run and ignore the weather this winter (we will get a few days of freezing temps in the coming months)

Dave, we do get snow and below freezing temps, despite tropical climate, even oranges sometimes covered in ice overnight.

Wintersport309.gif

Earlier this year, we did get snow in Miami - first measurable snowfall since 1977, I think. We're expecting some chilly temps the next few days (lows in the low 40s and a bit of wind chill). T-shirt weather for some, but full arctic tundra outfit required for thin-blooded folks like me...

I don't think the water temp in my pool has gotten to the 60s, I'm more concerned about landscaping.

...while the ice on the Florida oranges looks like the frozen tundra, the growers mist water on the trees during the colder days to create that ice-coverage which in fact acts as protection to prevent the fruit from damage. I know its odd... Add ice to prevent freeze damage, but thats how its done....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.