coffee and food

dorpo75

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2009
NE Ohio
Since I am addicted to this website and go into withdrawl when the pool isn't open, I thought about posting some of the holiday traditions or special/favorite foods that go along with them. Recipes are optional.

Here's one of my earliest recollections of the holiday "nuttiness" that envelopes people during this time of year;

It was in the early 60's. I had a great-aunt who always had T-giving dinner b/c her house was a huge duplex, very similar to the house in "A Christmas Story". Same type of neighborhood in the West Suburbs of Cleveland.... :blah:... But I digress... In her kitchen is where the food magic began (and she was a GOOOOOOOOOOD cook).

I was helping her get the turkey ready on Thanksgiving (we ate late) and actually watched her wash the insides and outsides of the fresh turkey with Ivory soap and a scrub brush! :shock:

Her turkeys were always the best, so either I was really hungry by the time we ate as it was usually late, or the Ivory soap thing had something going for it.

Last year I decided to re-create the "washing of the turkey" and used Ivory soap (it has to be Ivory as it is 99% pure) and was pleasantly surprised to say that the turkey tasted as good as it did when Aunt Flo (no joke, really her name) made it. :cheers:

Aunt Flo has been gone since 1976 and I still remember that day and her washing the bird like it was yesterday. Now my kids look at me all weirded out when I use the soap, but someday they too will join the ranks of the believers. :goodjob:

In the words of the famous TV commercial "Try it, You'll LIKE it!" :chef:

Reminds me of the time I had to eat some soap. :oops: Have NO CLUE what I said, but it must have short circuited my mom's last nerve at the time. The turkey definitely tastes better than the soap. :)

My father-in-law's little trick (discovered by accident, of course) is to cook the turkey upside-down; so breast-down instead of back-down. It makes the fat from the legs keep the breast moist! It doesn't look quite as nice, but I can handle that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.