Cracks developing in new plaster?

phalcon51

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2010
So. California
We had our pool replastered in late September this year and now it appears to be developing cracks in the surface. They haven't broken through the plaster yet, but they appear as light colored interconnected spider-webbing lines that looks like a road map. The plaster was put on and the pool began filling the same day and finished filling the next day. Has anyone seen this before or know if it will eventually crack through? I haven't called the pool company yet (Jeff Kerber Pools in S. Calif.) as I wanted to get some feedback here first. I've included a couple of pictures showing the problem. The lines don't show up too well in the first photo so I color enhanced it in the second photo to show up better. They're not as hard to see in real life.

In natural light:
DSC01662.jpg

Enhanced color:
PoolCracks3.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Yeah, it's on the step in the shallow end, but it shows up elsewhere, too. It was re-plastered on Sept. 27, just a couple of months ago. Good to hear your opinion of Jeff Kerber, I'll probably call them first of the week and see if they'll come out and take a look at it.

Any ideas as to why this might be occurring?

Was that a hot day? The top step is the last to get water, so it dries out pretty good on a hot day before the water elevation gets to it. Those are actually pretty typical.

Checking L.A. weather on the net for that day it was apparently around 113. They finished the plaster in the late morning and finished the tile by mid afternoon and started filling the pool. I let it run overnight and it finished filling the next morning. With that kind of heat, is there any possibility that the plaster dried too fast? Can that affect the longevity of the plaster?

Those type of "spider cracks" or spalling is fairly normal for plaster when dry. The photos appear to be above water, rather than submerged? Many pools get these when the pool is drained, or when the pool is filling, but they usually go away after being submerged. If you can still see them when submerged, have your plaster co. look at them.

phalcon51 said:
No, this area has been submerged since the day after the plaster was laid down about 2 mos. ago.

I have had similar cracks on my plaster since day 1 on several pool wall (vertical) areas that are always submerged. Just completed season 5 with no leaks. I thought it was normal till you questioned the issue

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.